Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Sam,
I have a dark grey matt tank, red frame and red wheels SV650 2020. Lovely looking machine, couple of questions....

I see the wheels are die cast aluminium and they are red. How do I keep them looking like they just came out of the shop? I will have the bike for just over 2yrs. Maybe some of you have achieved this with the bike outside? Mine will be in a shed or covered at times outside but I intend to use as much as possible.

I know about ACF50 for pretty much everything but the brakes but I recently viewed a similar bike with black wheel (GSR750) and it was oxidising as the guy had not protected it properly and left it in the middle of a lawn covered up (UK) for 6 months.

Any keeping it looking amazing advice greatly received as well as anybody who thinks they have found a good occasional luggage solution.

Thank you!

· Registered
641 Posts
I have the 2020 matt charcoal/red frame and wheels model too. My wheels have stayed OK by storing the bike inside and just cleaning lightly with a wash'n wax type of product so you don't scratch the paint. Some of the paint on modern bikes is not that tough. Before I clean the back wheel I wipe it lightly with a rag with kerosene on it to get rid of the flung chain lube and road grime.
I have found that lovely maroon paint on the frame chips easily if you accidently knock it with tools etc.

· Registered
154 Posts
Just take care of them like you would anything you care about and have pride in. Keep 'em clean, wash 'em regularly, use good quality cleaning products, some sort of protectant can be helpful if you want but not needed,.. half the battle is just regular cleaning, basic maintenance. Wheels as a rule don't need alot.

fwiw this bike is 12 years old has 49k atm, 47k+ of it were put on almost exclusively via commuting about 90-100 miles almost daily.. .I bought it totally stock with 47k and its been transformed a little, but I haven't touched the wheels xcept to put the reflective vinyl wheel rim stripes on.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

.....Aside from a cpl of rock nicks in the paint and a tiny bit of paint thinning you can just barely see if yer heads down there, in the paint along the leading edge of the 3 spokes,... they look perfectly fine for 12yo wheels w/almost almost 50k miles...

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just take care of them like you would anything you care about and have pride in. Keep 'em clean, wash 'em regularly, use good quality cleaning products, some sort of protectant can be helpful if you want but not needed,.. half the battle is just regular cleaning, basic maintenance. Wheels as a rule don't need alot.

fwiw this bike is 12 years old has 49k atm, 47k+ of it were put on almost exclusively via commuting about 90-100 miles almost daily.. .I bought it totally stock with 47k and its been transformed a little, but I haven't touched the wheels xcept to put the reflective vinyl wheel rim stripes on.

View attachment 64687

View attachment 64690 View attachment 64691
View attachment 64692

.....Aside from a cpl of rock nicks in the paint and a tiny bit of paint thinning you can just barely see if yer heads down there, in the paint along the leading edge of the 3 spokes,... they look perfectly fine for 12yo wheels w/almost almost 50k miles...
Looks great! Gives me renewed hope that I can keep it tidy looking. Looks like I pick it up tomorrow and I feel like I've made a good choice particularly if the SV is being discontinued as perhaps that will allow for a little less depreciation for a sought after machine. Why they would do that I have no idea, they have an absolutely bomb proof reputation!

· Registered
154 Posts
Wheels are a pain to clean thoroughly.
I have found using chain wax instead of oil based spray lube, or 90 weight gear oil, makes for less mess out back.
Ymmv.

Agree 100% with the chain wax, vs traditional "Chain lube"

I spray a rag with WD40 after every other, MAYBE every 3 rides, wipe the chain down thoroughly cleaning the latest layer of gunk & then reshoot it with the wax chain lube..while its still warm.. my wheel/swingarm/carrier etc. stay clean. They see no lube fling at all off the chain in almost 2k miles since I started riding it...

First thing I did when I got the bike was a weekend long deeeeep cleaning..... my buddy took good care of it and didn't neglect it but he really never tore into it and did a comprehensive complete detail type cleaning while he had it so I figured 12 yrs on it was due !
Spent prob. 2 hours on the rear wheel, sprocket, swingarm area alone.... the sprocket/sprocket carrier were almost completely black from lube and dirt..

If you didn't start with keepin' these things clean as a rule,...just invest in the time to do it once & then keep it up with a li'l attn after every other ride or so & yr golden.

& as to the discontinuation, its all economics.. they know they have a solid seller but want to move to the inline twin engine design its notably cheaper to make and with tricky firing order etc can sound and feel like the Vtwin we know and love.. profit margins are shrinking across the board.... the crappy thing will be if they jack the price with out adding any new updated tech or features...

Ride Safe.

· Registered
6,244 Posts
...as to the discontinuation, its all economics.. they know they have a solid seller but want to move to the inline twin engine design its notably cheaper to make and with tricky firing order etc can sound and feel like the Vtwin we know and love.. profit margins are shrinking across the board.... the crappy thing will be if they jack the price with out adding any new updated tech or features...

Ride Safe.
Interestingly, in real dollars the SV is cheaper now than ever. IIRC, list in '99 was $5199 (I know I paid $4800, but that was a buddy deal) Converting to 2023 dollars that's $9358. List for a 2023 is $7849. And of course the new one has ABS, which wasn't available in '99.

• Helpful
Reactions: Geo Smith

· Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,759 Posts
the crappy thing will be if they jack the price with out adding any new updated tech or features...
I am surprised the MFGs have not yet jacked up the prices (without corresponding improvements). Inflation is driving up the prices of virtually all manufacturing inputs. Either their bottom lines are squeezed, or the increase prices. I agree with Rich, the new motorcycle pricing we are seeing are truly great deals for buyers, both from a historical perspective, and given the current economic turmoil.

· Registered
641 Posts
Interestingly, in real dollars the SV is cheaper now than ever. IIRC, list in '99 was $5199 (I know I paid $4800, but that was a buddy deal) Converting to 2023 dollars that's $9358. List for a 2023 is $7849. And of course the new one has ABS, which wasn't available in '99.
Same here Down under. The SV is by far the best bang for your buck in the 650cc bracket. Currently the full power model is on a promo for $9999 NZD which according to my online calculator is $6300 USD. Bargain!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts