Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a GSXR swap this winter. Was able to use the factory ignition from bike, worked fine until last week. Turned the key with no results, no cluster, no start, nothing. Used my superior technical skills and jiggled the wire to the ignition and had no issues from there on out....until yesterday. Entire bike cut out while riding, had to truck it home.

Got to the connector and found the issue, looks like this.

Do I get a new connector or try to wire it back in? Any ideas on why it would burn up like that on the power wire? I had my speedo sensor unhooked for a few days, with the plug just tucked away; but I don't think that would cause this.

Anyone have any bad experiences like this?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
ahh the green connector issue. very common on our SVs. i have been fortunate enough not to run into it...yet. search green connector on the forum and you should come up with some pretty decent walkthroughs with what to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
... Do I get a new connector or try to wire it back in?
Unfortunately Suzuki under-sized that connector, so replacement with the same size is not a good solution, just pushes the problem down the road.

Best (or at least easy) thing to do is cut the connector off, then solder/heat-shrink the wires directly.

If you want to maintain a plug connection to the ignition switch, I would recommend replacing the failed 4 contact Sumitomo connector with a 6 contact plug and use the extra two pins to double the connection on the Red and Orange wires. The connectors are available here: Sumitomo HM Sealed Series.

Or, you can use the same 4 contact Sumitomo and install headlight relays which will bypass enough current around that connector to eliminate future problems.

Whatever fix you choose, be sure to do a QUALITY repair as failure here will abruptly cut power to the bike and could be dangerous. I once had a bike die on me while in the carpool lane of a busy SoCal freeway. No shoulder so I was a sitting duck with cars wizzing past my nose at 70 MPH. 20 minutes later, CHP came by and did a traffic break so I could push my bike across four lanes of freeway to saftey. Not fun! Power upset while leaned over in a turn could be worse. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it was just a starting issue the first few times...then it cut off completely on a state highway saturday. I was doing about 55 in the fast lane, cut across the slow lane to the emergency lane...No fun at all.

I think I'm just going to solder and heat shrink the red wires together. Shouldn't be an issue after that...I hope.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This worked perfect so far, just butt connector(ed) the two green wires together for a constant connection. Supposedly this can (and will) happen to any of the wires within the connector...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts