Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other sprocket thread got pretty cluttered, and off topic. I was thinking making it easier on myself and just getting some front sprockets to use for very specific purposes, ie- 15f for everyday use, 14f when i'm feeling sporty or at the track, and 16f if i decide to tour. Does that seems logical? also to even it out a bit i was thinking going permanently with a 45r. so heres how its looking:

14/45=3.214= Sporty/Track

15/45=3.000= Everyday/General Use

16/45=2.812= Long Trips/Touring

I not exactly sure what chain i have now since i just bought the bike, but from the looks of things i'd say its all stock specs. So with these sprockets can i use the same chain for all the combos??

Also anyone have any experience with Pit Bull sprockets? They seem TOO cheap which worries me a little, but i want a good deal as well? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you should be able to do all 3 on the same chain, I ran 16/46 and had to add a couple links

good sprockets... for the front, I recommend oem suzuki, my experience they last the longest and are cheapest cost per mile the oem gsxr is 16t and fits, I don't know of an oem type 14t front

can't comment on the link you posted, haven't looked at it yet, my experience with aftermarket sprockets is not great, the ones that perform (longevity) as well as oem, cost as much as oem

oem front sprockets are quieter as well, the rubber damper helps chain & sprocket life and softens noise

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
So with these sprockets can i use the same chain for all the combos?
It depends on where your chain adjusters are currently positioned. You can easily tell if your choices will fit with this formula:

Add up all teeth front and rear, and for each tooth you add or subtract, move the axle forward or back (chain pitch/4). For a 5xx chain, that works out to (5/8in)/4 = 5/32in for each tooth.

Chain adjuster tic marks on the SV are spaced 3mm or approximately 1/8in.

You can do an eyeball approximation if you say 5/32 is roughly 1/8. Then for each tooth you add/subtract front and rear you need available one tic mark of axle movement (+/-). If you're close, then do the math to account for the 1/32in approximation. Also leave enough space for future adjustment.

PS: Chain pitch/4 is not exact, but is very close. Challenge to anyone interested: what's the exact formula?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts