Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new brake pads for my 2018 abs. What's a good option to increase braking power?

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Vesrah RJL

DP makes good pads too

·
Registered
926 Posts
Havent tested them but Ive heard that Goldfren make good brake pads from Germany, I am putting them on my 4 piston brake calipers which Im putting on my 2017.

How can you already need new brake pads on a 2018 model bike? how many miles do you ride on a weekly basis?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've been running EBC HH pads for years on my stuff, anything from a 250cc dual sport to a 600 pound Brit sport tourer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent tested them but Ive heard that Goldfren make good brake pads from Germany, I am putting them on my 4 piston brake calipers which Im putting on my 2017.

How can you already need new brake pads on a 2018 model bike? how many miles do you ride on a weekly basis?

I bought it new 10 months ago. I have 8600 miles on it. I joyride alot. Rear brake does almost nothing now and front brake is getting squishy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought it new 10 months ago. I have 8600 miles on it. I joyride alot. Rear brake does almost nothing now and front brake is getting squishy.
It sounds like maybe your brake lines could use some bleeding.

I changed out the front brake pads pretty soon after I got my 2017. I used Galfer HH pads. I found them to be an improvement over stock (more initial bite and less lever pressure required to stop). I switched to braided lines about a month later, which were a little improvement. I didn't change anything on the rear brake.

The biggest improvement in braking came from stiffer fork springs. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but it feels less like I'm rotating over the handlebars...and like I'm immediately stopping instead of taking up slack then stopping.

·
Registered
255 Posts
+1 on the fork springs. I noticed a huge improvement not only in braking but in just the general ride when I swapped out the front springs and went with 15wt oil. When most of your initial braking isn't the front forks sucking up most of it's travel to almost bottoming out it does help. I'm probably bigger than the average SV rider so....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used to stay away from the "sintered" brake pads thinking they were going to be to hard on the discs... then I finally went for a set that was on close out... I should have listened to everybody about how good they were, long long time ago! I don't even think they are any harder on the discs... only potential issues could be a little more heat potential, but haven't seen any issues there...

compared to when I only ran aramid or semi-metalic pads, running sintered metal is like getting a brake system upgrade and the pads last much longer than aggressive counterparts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Vesrah RJL

DP makes good pads too
This.

Vesrah RJL hands down the best pads available for 99-2018 SV650.

DP and EBC Extreme Pro EPFA pads are also very good.

the standard EBC HH pads and the Galfer HH pads ended up in the trash can.

I'm talking race track here.

FYI, we just put 2019 forks on our race bike with the new 4 piston calipers. amazing brakes....

·
Registered
186 Posts
This.

Vesrah RJL hands down the best pads available for 99-2018 SV650.

DP and EBC Extreme Pro EPFA pads are also very good.

the standard EBC HH pads and the Galfer HH pads ended up in the trash can.

I'm talking race track here.

FYI, we just put 2019 forks on our race bike with the new 4 piston calipers. amazing brakes....
Your statement about pads is exactly how I felt when I started doing track. The EBC HH went in the trash for track days but at street pace, they were great... I now only do EPFA, RJL, or CL C60...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Squishy brakes might be a little air in the lines. There's often just a bit left in the lines after a bleed, just enought for them to feel squishy. I completely cleared my lines with a trick from my buddies. Park the bike. Squeeze the front brake lever as hard as you can and fasten it. Squeeze the brake lines with your hand or tap them lightly with a screwdriver handle from the back wheel to the front. Leave the bike this way for 2 or 3 days, working the lines from back to front at least once a day. It worked great for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Genuine Suzuki Pads are best. Tried the EBC EPFA pads but they cooled down too fast leading to scary moments at the end of long straights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squishy brakes might be a little air in the lines. There's often just a bit left in the lines after a bleed, just enought for them to feel squishy. I completely cleared my lines with a trick from my buddies. Park the bike. Squeeze the front brake lever as hard as you can and fasten it. Squeeze the brake lines with your hand or tap them lightly with a screwdriver handle from the back wheel to the front. Leave the bike this way for 2 or 3 days, working the lines from back to front at least once a day. It worked great for me.
It is also quite hard to get the air out of the line that goes over the wheel from one caliper to the other. Solution: Unbolt the caliper that has the line going up to the master cylinder, put something flat between the pads to stop them closing up. Bleed the system while holding that caliper out at 90 degrees so that all bubbles can travel up to the master cylinder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
EBC HH sintered. I put on mine about 2 weeks ago and at the same time put Speigler stainless on the front. Way better and cleaner looking too without the brake line crossing over the fender.

·
Registered
205 Posts
EBC HH sintered. I put on mine about 2 weeks ago and at the same time put Speigler stainless on the front. Way better and cleaner looking too without the brake line crossing over the fender.
+1 on EBC FA HH (sintered) in conjunction with braided lines.
I had them installed on my gen. 3 calipers (Tokico 2 pot front) and it was a definite improvement over the stock setup: I'm now able to pull the front brake lever with 2 fingers without regretting the lack of stopping power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i don't think it should matter, but just curious if you have ABS? looking on revzilla it says the ebc hh sintered aren't compatible, not sure if it's because of the ABS on mine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do have ABS, and of you check on EBC website they list our bike as compatible and don't say anything about ABS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts