Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out carving a few nice roads on the SV1K with a few people I met this morning at a biker breakfast at Poe's Pub in Richmond Virginia and it was a very enjoyable ride, the temps were in the upper 50's with plenty of sun so it was an awesome day for a January ride. Everything was going great as we were carving some nice curves ;D and I was following a guy on a new silver 04 Triumph 1200ST. Because I did not know any of the guys in front of me I decided to hang back a few seconds and I'm glad I did. As we rounded a modest curve there was a dip in the road, as the back of the Triumph hit the bump the right side hard saddlebag came off. The bag hit the road and bounced straight toward me :eek: as I executed a 70mph high speed swerve to the left to keep from getting smacked and ending up in the ditch. Luckily I managed to miss the bag as it went flying by the right side of my bike but the funny thing is the guy on the Triumph did not even know the bag had come off. I had to hammer the throttle and get beside him to let him know he had lost a saddlebag. I've had to dodge my things in my 27 years of riding to including dogs, deer, cars and many potholes but I can say this was the first piece falling another bike.

If anyone is near the Richmond, Va area you might want to visit Poe's Pub for Breakfast on the second Sunday of every month from 9:30am until noon if you like talking other riders and looking at some nice bikes. This was the most diverse crowd of bikes I had ever seen in one place and had a great time.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well, glad you missed that bag !! Sounded a little hairy. Also, thanks for the Poe's Pub ride report. I've always known about it but 99% of the time I am working Sundays. I assumed it was a bunch of people on Harleys since that is the most common bike I see parked outside when passing by.

I'll try to get down there next month... and to think I didn't have to work until noon today. DAMN !! Would have been nice to see your SV1k. Would have brought mine out this time. ;D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was gonna come in and harp on having learned it as 4 seconds, but for bike to bike distances I do 2 seconds too. Glad you missed it, those bags are big.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frayed said:
Well, glad you missed that bag !!  Sounded a little hairy.  Also, thanks for the Poe's Pub ride report.  I've always known about it but 99% of the time I am working Sundays.  I assumed it was a bunch of people on Harleys since that is the most common bike I see parked outside when passing by. 

I'll try to get down there next month...  and to think I didn't have to work until noon today.  DAMN !!  Would have been nice to see your SV1k.   Would have brought mine out this time.   ;D
Hey Frayed, how are things going? I'm loving the the power of the SV1K but it sure doesn't corner like the 650? It's very smooth on the interstate at speed and is comfortable with the Convertibars, Sargeant seat and ZG touring windshield. I'm going to raise the fork tubes about 5mm and see if it turns in a little quicker. You really need to do the Poe's Pub breakfast, the majority of bikes were sport and sport touring bikes and the shop talk about bikes was pretty good.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Two seconds is good, but rarely enough. The old fart rule of thumb is that you should never outride your brakes or steering. In corners particularly where you can't use a lot of brake and maneuvering around stuff isn't as easy, you need to leave more room. This also affects your speed, especially in corners where you could encounter sand, gravel, oil, etc.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
thats sounds almost as bad as the guy who had to dodge the knife ::) glad you are ok though. smart move not following them close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts