Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to ride w/ a helmet locked in the rear seat helmet lock. I will be riding from ny to philly and want to bring my girls helmet along w/ me locked in the rear seat hinge lock mechanism thingy.. Good Idea or Bad idea??

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Not the best way to transport a helmet, it will bang itself around in the wind and be subject to rocks and other road debris hitting it.

How bout putting it in a duffel bag and then bunjee cording it to the back seat?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
bad idea.

owner's manual says not to do it.

plus, do you trust that that strap is not going to break for that long of a ride?  if you're not worried about that, at least be worried about the fact that every time you straighten up from a curve, that helmet is going to be swinging away from and banging back into the tail...every bump you go over, that helmet is going to be flopping around banging into your tail.

I havent tried it personally, but I like my nice shiney paint job too much to risk a helmet banging on it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Would it be better to bungee/cargo net the helmet upright on the rear seat?

I would be a little leery of an expensive helmet hanging off to the side, not only for the risk of dropping it at speed, but also exposing it to that much more abuse from sand, rocks, or other road debris...

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
i use a bungie net and strap it to the back seat.I plan on going from NY to Philly quite a bit,my girl is going to college down there,we'll have to ride down togather sometime.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
donedidit said:
Good Idea or Bad idea??
Bad idea. For all the reasons given. In fact, any other way you can think of getting the helmet there, including UPSing it ahead, is better than riding with it in the lock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I generally keep a helmet on the helmet lock, for occasional passenger use. I've done this for years, and it hasn't damaged the strap. There's been some abrasion of the paint on the bike, but that doesn't bother me any more.

It will be much more comfortable there than on the passenger seat, especially if you have a backpack.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Really its not that big of a problem. Sure its not the best way, but I've done it a few times. I wouldnt keep it there, cause it will rub through the paint eventually. But once in awhile? Sure why not. Mine doesnt bang around or flop in the wind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 on the bad idea. Just run down to about any shop and grab one of those cargo nets for $5.00 then you're set. 8)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
evilbologna said:
Really its not that big of a problem. Sure its not the best way, but I've done it a few times. I wouldnt keep it there, cause it will rub through the paint eventually. But once in awhile? Sure why not. Mine doesnt bang around or flop in the wind.
gotta agree there. i've done this a few times. helmet does not flop around at all and there doesn't seem to be any paint-wear on the bike. so i would say occasionaly is fine

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gahdzila said:
bad idea.

owner's manual says not to do it.

plus, do you trust that that strap is not going to break for that long of a ride?
Do you trust the strap on that long of a ride if your wearing the helmet???? non issue IMHO

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
OOORRR you can do what the squidders do.

You can strap the helmet to the grab bar, just as you would putting it on your head.
If you strap it the same way, it's not going anywhere b/c it's not supposed to fly off your head.
You can pull it pretty tight so it won't move very much.

Only problem is you still risk debris hitting it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
PaPa-G said:
OOORRR you can do what the squidders do.

You can strap the helmet to the grab bar, just as you would putting it on your head.
If you strap it the same way, it's not going anywhere b/c it's not supposed to fly off your head.
You can pull it pretty tight so it won't move very much.

Only problem is you still risk debris hitting it.
I'll say the same thing again, I've certainly had plenty of debris hit the helmet while I was wearing it, what's the difference

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I can see this thread is getting you no where. IMO Do what ever you feel better doing. If you don't want to buy a cargo net then hang it on the hook. It you want to drop the bucks for it the buy one and put it on the rear seat. But the helmet will wiggle around alot when you corner and stop and accelerate cuz the net is made of elastic which allows this to happen. I personally always hook mine on the hook. But on a trip that long the above risks are greater (worn paint, possible strap breaking, helmet hitting tail) I personally have never had my helmet swing around when it is strapped there.

BTW if you do decide to hook it on the side be sure to buckle the helmet as if you were wearing it or the long end (which would dangle otherwise) may get to close to the tire

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use the helmet bag from my shoei to put over the girlfriends helmet when I transport it in the helmet lock, keeps the debris off it and the bag is soft enough it wont scratch the plastics. I have friends that always have a helmet straped to the side for themselves in case they get a sudden urge for stunting.

·
Registered
836 Posts
jonesdb said:
I use the helmet bag from my shoei to put over the girlfriends helmet when I transport it in the helmet lock, keeps the debris off it and the bag is soft enough it wont scratch the plastics.  I have friends that always have a helmet straped to the side for themselves in case they get a sudden urge for stunting.
Well...that's...ummm....responsible, I guess. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts