Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You cannot learn how to ride properly just by reading and watching videos, but using them wisely -studying them and analyzing the things you need to improve- will help you a lot in your daily riding/practice. Remember, the right mix of PROPER TRAINING, knowledge, awareness and conscious practice is what's going to make you a safer, better, more proficient motorcyclist.

BOOK: Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks

BOOK: Proficient Motorcycling I and II by David L. Hough

BOOK: Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track by Nick Ienatsch

BOOK: A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding by Keith Code

VIDEO: A Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code

BOOKLET: You and Your Motorcycle: Riding Tips - Motorcycle Safety Foundation

BOOKLET: Motorcycle Operator Manual - Motorcycle Safety Foundation

EXTRA: Dr. Jim's Question of the Day - MSF - http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/questionoftheday.aspx?q=878

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Good topic! Question for anybody... Are any of these available on Kindle? If not, can you recommend any books that are?

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proficient Motorcycling and Total Control are available for Kindle.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Twist 2 is for the very logical thinker. Some may not be able to piece it together as well as other. The dvd is far easier to understand, but doesn't get as much depth.

However, I must interject. After reading many of these books, studying other theories online, and nearly 20,000 miles of trying to put it all together. 1 day in a quality advanced rider course took my riding and control over the bike to a completely new level.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, I must interject. After reading many of these books, studying other theories online, and nearly 20,000 miles of trying to put it all together. 1 day in a quality advanced rider course took my riding and control over the bike to a completely new level.

So you're saying that the reading was or was not necessary along with the course?

·
Registered
818 Posts
More Proficient Motorcycling has just been re-released in a 2nd editon now entitled Mastering the Ride - More Proficient Motorcycling.

As to the advanced rider course, I would submit that having studied the books enabled the rider to gain much more from the course.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Necessary, no. Helpful, absolutely. Reading gave me a solid grasp of the theories behind why everything is the way it is so at the class I could focus on exactly what they wanted me to do. The books taught my why, class taught me how.

My suggestion to a new rider that wants to advance quickly and safely:
Small bike, MSF, read until you think you understand, advanced riders course. Of course, riding the wheels off your bike the entire time.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump for the newcomers.

Sent from my tablet while doing a stoppie

·
Safety Adviser
879 Posts
Necessary, no. Helpful, absolutely. Reading gave me a solid grasp of the theories behind why everything is the way it is so at the class I could focus on exactly what they wanted me to do. The books taught my why, class taught me how.

My suggestion to a new rider that wants to advance quickly and safely:
Small bike, MSF, read until you think you understand, advanced riders course. Of course, riding the wheels off your bike the entire time.
+2

Read, Undestad, and then get some hands on training, where qualified people can watch and help you get it right before you practice doing it wrong for years!

Practice does not make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump for the season's newcomers.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P.S. Both Total Control and Proficient Motorcycling are on their 2nd editions. Both have more and better information than their respective 1st editions.

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
A recent article on Revzilla, that fits this discussion.

Right or wrong doesn’t really matter in a motorcycle accident. Even if the accident is “their fault,” I’ve still made that decision to ride knowing something dangerous — even fatal — can happen. I don’t hang up my leathers, I just ride knowing that I need to work harder to get home safe.
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/mental-attitudes-for-street-survival

STREET SURVIVAL MINDSET: THREE ATTITUDES TO TAKE ON THE RIDE
One: It's not "us vs. them"
Two: Let it go, move on
Three: Whatever happens, it's my own fault

1 - 20 of 23 Posts