Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated where to post this, as most of what I see online is track-based. I don't do any track riding (yet, at least), and from my miles you can see I'm fairly fresh. (My point in posting it here is that my longer riding is and will be more like touring than track).

I'm 6'1, with the armspan to compliment it. My 650n is my main mode of transportation. Yesterday I took a longer route home (1 hr instead of 10 min) and while it was quite fun, I found myself aching afterwards. I know part of this is just being new, and not used to riding for extended periods of time, but part of it I feel is due to improper body positioning.

How I do it now: I tend to sit forward, so that my junk is almost against the tank. I lean my torso enough so that my stomach (well, small gut) touches the tank. This allows my elbows to be slightly bent, though I do have to remind myself to bend them and relax my hands. I still feel like I'm putting too much weight on the handlebars, though I try to remind myself on downhills and slowdowns to grip the tank with my legs (I do plan on buying Hammergrips soon).

Places that get most sore: my lower palms, lower back after a while.

Another thing that sort of bothers me is that my hand's natural grip is much larger than the grips on the bars - I feel like I'm trying to grab a pencil with my whole hand. Does someone make grips that are larger in circumference?

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
If I scoot back on the seat a little bit, I find my feet a little bit more underneath me, which engages more of my hamstrings instead of my lower back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and before someone says "Proficient Motorcycling," I KNOW! It's on my birthday list.

I'll have to try that some. I thought it made my back hurt more, but maybe I'm going too far back.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I move around constantly on long rides. Gotta move around or you'll get sore. When doing trips I sit in whatever way is comfortable, Sometimes that's even on the passenger seat so I can stretch my legs. I don't worry about position until we come to some corners.

You seem to be on the right track, Keep it up.

Yes, larger grips can be found.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
relax when yer on the bike, rest your hands on the grips rolling the throttle with your palm & thumb, don't grip the handlebars like its a shovel

when your off the bike, do some exercises, half sits with your back against as wall to exercise leg muscles and crunches to exercise your abdomen muscles

consider bar riser/pull back adapters or different handlebars to adjust to your optimal ergonomic position

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You have an N model so getting different bars is relatively inexpensive.

Bikemaster.com has several different bars for less than $30 if you did want to go that route.

Honestly though, its just a matter of getting used to it. RandyO is spot on, you'll be surprised how much stretching helps, especially your legs/core.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have an N model so getting different bars is relatively inexpensive.

Bikemaster.com has several different bars for less than $30 if you did want to go that route.

Honestly though, its just a matter of getting used to it. RandyO is spot on, you'll be surprised how much stretching helps, especially your legs/core.
I agree. I've had my '06 naked for 6 years now and the only thing that helps is more riding... I don't see that as much of a problem though :vroom:

·
Registered
123 Posts
The more you can relax your body, the more happy your body will be for sure.

As for grips, Pro Grip 714's seem to be thicker than average and I know I have seen talk on here about Grip Puppies which is a thick foam pad that goes OVER your grips, both adding padding and making the grip thicker.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
If I am assuming correctly, you have under 1,000 miles of riding under your belt? If that is the case, just stick with it and ride more, the muscles will build. You seem to be on the right track.

Realisticly, if you are just cruising, be in what ever body position you are most comfortable in. If you are hitting the twisties, take note on the track orriented body position, and then adjust it to fit your idea of street riding: i.e. many people tend to stay with the bike while street riding instead of hang off to the inside for many good reason, but that is for a different thread.

Again, assuming I am right and you have under 1,000 miles, you will think back to this thread some time next season and chuckle to yourself. 1 hour isn't considered a long ride for most, but as I said, it takes time to build muscles and find where you are comfortable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, thanks for the encouragement. Less than 1,000 is correct! Seems like it's like working out; need time for your muscles/body to get used to things.

·
Registered
996 Posts
+1 to everything above, your body just isn't used to using certain almost unknown to you muscles.I'm 6'1 also with pretty long arms to match and I usually sit almost upright armlength away from the bars with a little bend in the elbow but I also have Suburban Machinery 2 bars on my Naked.(which are great BTW). Only when I ride harder does my stance get more aggressive and leaned over.

No matter what anyone says about the stock seat, it really isn't THAT bad, as long as you stay moving around hitting actual corners and not sitting in one place on the highway.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
No matter what anyone says about the stock seat, it really isn't THAT bad, as long as you stay moving around hitting actual corners and not sitting in one place on the highway.
my SV, still has stock seat, stock bars, stock footpegs, ergonomicly, its perfect for my body even though I am a larger person, maybe its cause I'm tall torso, short legs and gorilla arms

my V-strom is not as comfortable ergonomicly, I've had to make some slight modifications and want to do more.

once you get the ergonomics set, and the correct underwear (no cotton to absorb sweat, no seams) there's nothing wrong with the stock seat unless it sets you in the wrong ergonomic position.

I can ride all day and then some (literally) stopping only for gas every 2½-3 hours with no more than 5 minutes off the bike at gas stops

and still be comfortable as when I got on the day before

·
Registered
996 Posts
my SV, still has stock seat, stock bars, stock footpegs, ergonomicly, its perfect for my body even though I am a larger person, maybe its cause I'm tall torso, short legs and gorilla arms

my V-strom is not as comfortable ergonomicly, I've had to make some slight modifications and want to do more.

once you get the ergonomics set, and the correct underwear (no cotton to absorb sweat, no seams) there's nothing wrong with the stock seat unless it sets you in the wrong ergonomic position.

I can ride all day and then some (literally) stopping only for gas every 2½-3 hours with no more than 5 minutes off the bike at gas stops

and still be comfortable as when I got on the day before
I have noticed that even a pair of UnderArmor spandex shorts really improves the length of time I can put on the seat. Normal undies just don't cut it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh and before someone says "Proficient Motorcycling," I KNOW! It's on my birthday list.

I'll have to try that some. I thought it made my back hurt more, but maybe I'm going too far back.
Ah, yes. Proficient Motorcycling. :) :thumbsup:

You have several possible contributing factors:

Low mileage - seat time will help.

Riding position - try the Master Yoda Riding Position - http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2737&fpart=1

Seat - the original SV seat could possibly pass for a medieval torture tool. You might consider looking at the ideas at www.diymotorcycleseat.com.

FWIW, you might also want to adjust your control levers and pedals to fit you more comfortably. Don't forget to adjust your rear brake light switch after adjusting the brake pedal.

EDIT: Grip puppies or larger diameter grips may help if you have larger hands. Personally, I like the tapered BMW/CanAm grips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if i'm on the bike for more than 5 hours my knees really start to get sore (i'm 6'3", 175 lbs) and have an 07 naked. Stock handlebars and stock footpegs - home modded seat (shaved down the corners). anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
For the 1+ hours, your body will get used to it, but once you start riding for 4-5 hours, you're gonna start hurting no matter how much time you have on the saddle, especially if you have the S model. A more comfortable seat helps though, like Corbin, Saergant, or a stock seat modified by www.greatdaytoride.com...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts