Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would do a quick search for tires. Basically it comes down to your riding style.

Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc all make different tires for different riding styles.

You can do HOURS of research on this, looks like you might be busy for a few hours.

BTW, where in IL are you? I may know a few people that could do the install cheaper than a shop.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do a quick search for tires. Basically it comes down to your riding style.

Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc all make different tires for different riding styles.

You can do HOURS of research on this, looks like you might be busy for a few hours.

BTW, where in IL are you? I may know a few people that could do the install cheaper than a shop.
Thanks for the reply, just looking for a few brand names to get my search started. I usually do my own research but like to ask on here to get opinions and reviews of items people have or had. I've got a buddy that races so he is also a good resource. I am really close to the border of WI and Illinois and near Lake Michigan, but wouldn't mind taking a ride to get a cheaper install.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use bridgestone battleax BT023 tires and really like them. I commute on my bike everyday so I needed something that would last, but I've also started doing some trackdays as well. Honestly they're great all around tires, they've got more than enough traction for me so far on the track and I don't have to replace them incessantly. Thats my 2cents

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I also have the BT023, but I was a bit surprised that the rears are close to the wear lines with barely 5,000 miles.

I expected more from these dual compound tires, especially since my BT021, which were replaced with the BT023, lasted a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3 is supposed to get 7,500 to 10,000 miles. I have read that some even got more, but only have 1000 on mine, so I can't swear to them yet, but have no noticeable signs of wear. I do commuting through the mountains and casual/spirited riding. I am not disappointed either as they feel glued to the asphalt.

FYI, motorcycle-superstore has them on sale right now, like 37% off Michelin, 36% off Dunlop, 40% off Bridgestone, 33% off Perelli, 27% off Metzeler. They usually have free shipping 3 day. Just one place of many to consider.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was just checking recently as my stock tires have lost their grip.

From http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Based on:
160/60ZR-17
120/70ZR-17

$250.98 - Michelin Pilot 2CTs (now out of stock on the rear)
$243.98 - Bridgestone S20s
$241.98 - Dunlap Q2s
$200.98 - Shinko 011s
$190.98 - Shink0 003s

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I really like my Pirelli angels. I've got close to 5000 miles on them and they're still going strong. Even done a trackday on them and they did great.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have nearly 11,000 miles on my Pilot Road 2s and they're maybe half worn out.
Are they flat in the middles? I commute a lot so 11k miles is pretty impressive for only half worn tires.

I tell you the best tires I ever had were Pirelli's - in regard to traction that is - just good soft rubber... but they only went about 6000 miles... :( That was on the 250 as well haha.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Yes, they are flat down the middle now, but at 6,000 miles you couldn't tell unless you touched the tire that they had started to become flat.

When I get home I'll take another picture of the rear tire, but here's a pic of day 1, and a pic of 6000 miles later:

Here's the pic of them today:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Conti motions are good too. Affordable, good dry/wet grip, and smooth... I have them on mine now, and for commuting and occasional sharp turns, they are great.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Know anyone around the Scott AFB, St. Louis area?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts