Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about getting those bulky ugly beat up, things I call turn signals OFF today! Also thinking about taking my bulky ugly beat up front "fairing" off.. and replacing the headlamp with a round one I have laying around, question is. What type of bulb does a 2002 SV650 use? Wattage, and If I pulled my newly put in head lamp from the right side, [on the bike] left looking at it from the front. in the headlamp, would it work like that?

Also another question.. If I convert the headlamp, errr.. Any mods out there for simple instrument cluster re-attachment after the fronts been ripped off? thats really the ONLY thing keeping me from taking off my half on fairing and beating it with a hammer. for cutting me twice.. :evil6:

also at the moment I don't care about the messy wires in the front, I just really would like to get my SV the way I envisioned it. Plus saves me money on having to paint/fix the front fairing and all its smashed-ness..

Also would I run into any problems converting to LED's ? the ones I would be using are called K&S dunno anything about them. I didn't buy them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if the ohm resistance isnt the same as OEM the turn signal will flash faster.

funny enough, i want to get rid of my flush front LED's and go back to stock, oncoming cars cant tell im turning.

·
Registered
688 Posts
if the ohm resistance isnt the same as OEM the turn signal will flash faster.

funny enough, i want to get rid of my flush front LED's and go back to stock, oncoming cars cant tell im turning.
Yeah I rolled everything back to the stock turn signals- I couldn't find any LED's that were really bright enough to be turn signals. Perhaps rizomas (guess they will be discussed here) but they are WAY to expensive...

And frankly for the quality of the roads, amount of wet leaves, horse ****, gravel around here- I'd rather have something that is easy and cheap to replace that still is bright/safe enough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have Rizomas and they are really bright and look great, expensive so if you're a cheapskate you probably wont want them.

You can easily get rid of the front fairing. Do a search, many people switch to the Aztec8 dual round headlight setup. Personally I feel that the dual round headlight setup looks cheap and out of place but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Problem with turn signals is even if you drop the bike at a standstill, there go your signals.

Now if you have Rizoma's that are $45 each, it just went from a $5 crash to a $50 crash.

I have 2 spare stock signals, I've broken 2 in 4 years not sure how, $5-10 on here and you have a replacement.

The stock signals are also big enough to take the fall rather than your fairing/mirrors.

Spend your money where its useful, like suspension/tires/ergo's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My front turn signals actually are those flexible ones? That have the rubber necks? so not worried about dropping the bike and they snapping right away. I'll go ahead and give it a try. and see how it looks/works out. worse comes to worse. I take them off. put stocks back on.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
My front turn signals actually are those flexible ones? That have the rubber necks? so not worried about dropping the bike and they snapping right away. I'll go ahead and give it a try. and see how it looks/works out. worse comes to worse. I take them off. put stocks back on.
Even though they have the rubber necks they will snap right off.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
anyone try those mirrors with turn signals from ebay yet?
I had them on mine and loved them. I didn't mention them because he said he was thinking of going naked. Plenty bright on the stalk, and they stuck out and were perpendicular to oncoming traffic, so they were perfectly visible. The previous owner had flushmounts on the side of my S, so the flushmount and mirror signal combo was actually pretty cool.

One snapped off in my wreck though, so I just went back to stock signals and mirrors until I sold it.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The SV uses H4 bulbs, which is most likely what your new headlight uses as well.

I couldn't figure out any decent way of mounting the gauges, so I run gaugeless. a Vapor or similar would work reasonably. I sometimes use a bicycle speedometer.

I use LED turn signals without any issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had them on mine and loved them. I didn't mention them because he said he was thinking of going naked. Plenty bright on the stalk, and they stuck out and were perpendicular to oncoming traffic, so they were perfectly visible. The previous owner had flushmounts on the side of my S, so the flushmount and mirror signal combo was actually pretty cool.

One snapped off in my wreck though, so I just went back to stock signals and mirrors until I sold it.
cool thanks, i might pick up a a pair, seem pretty cheap too.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Chiming in a tad late with this, but you might find some helpful info here:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141950

Basically shows you how to not only convert to LEDs that are bright enough to be seen, but also convert the front turn signals into combination running light/turn signals that will improve your visibility to oncoming traffic.

With regards to ditching your 1st gen fairing but keeping your stock instrument cluster- I did something similar here:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130307

See post #5.

HTH

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts