Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon guys,

Recently I went to the motorcycle garage with my really old and worn GSXR600 (from 1999)
and there was basically so much wrong with the bike after 71000 miles that its best to buy a different bike financially.
Now I've been riding this bike for a year (always had issues with it but got it for basically nothing) and I am really wondering if it would be fun to switch to an SV650.

Little bit of info:
I've had my license for almost a year now, and I have only drove this 600 gixxer.
A lot of the times I tend to have fun on the gixxer but now that theres so much wrong with it that its basically not that safe to ride anymore I want to ride something that is fun and fast to ride as well
I do not have much bike choice because of the restricted licenses here and the gixxer was imported and "restricted" (everybody just removes the restrictor kinda, they dont check it) before a law came in that you can only restrict 70KW bikes max
Planning to do the same on the next bike
SV650s are dirt cheap here. around 2 k you have a nice 2004-6 model
Will I still have the same / more fun on a SV650 and will it be worth it?
Please talk me in to it if you want! :D

cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
its a very good bike. great fun-factor and reliability
also friendly to beginners, at least more so than the gixxer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the response!
Will the power delivery be disappointing?
Stock yes there will be a different but theres so many different mods you can do the bike personally ive done r6 throttle tube went from [15t-45t] to [14t-47t] and tre mod and I can get the front up in 2nd without the clutch and the sv does amazing in corners

·
Registered
186 Posts
You wont even notice the power difference because of the torque the bike has. I went from riding my 173 HP dyn'ed R1 to riding a 99 SV650 and I have no complaints. If you're trying to race with friends or run from cops then yes you'll see the difference but just riding the bike around is so much fun that you don't really notice the lack of power.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I had an R1 and a ZX6R. While the sounds and the acceleration were fun on the street, I couldn’t enjoy them like I can the SV. I couldn’t enjoy the acceleration because it didn’t last long enough without doubling the speed limit. It’s fun to brag about and to show off, but I ride for me
Stock yes there will be a different but theres so many different mods you can do the bike personally ive done r6 throttle tube went from [15t-45t] to [14t-47t] and tre mod and I can get the front up in 2nd without the clutch and the sv does amazing in corners
Wow! Sounds like you now have a useless 1st gear and no 6th. Seriously, if 2nd gear is nearly what 1st was, what do you do with 1st?

·
Registered
177 Posts
GSXR's are built for more speed and are better "racing" machines.
On the "track" the GSXR will disappear in front of you riding an SV650 much much easier with it's higher horsepower engine and peaky power delivery for straight aways.
On the street the differences are less noticeable, the SV can be more fun with the twin power pulse engine, also having the same or more torque on offer from the engine.
The GSXR can turn rings around a stock SV in the curves with the same riders (or advanced rider).
SV's when stock are not very well built for "speed"... which can make them more dangerous at speed, not having a steering damper and the poorer high speed suspension/brakes (comes to mind).

Good afternoon guys,

Recently I went to the motorcycle garage with my really old and worn GSXR600 (from 1999)
and there was basically so much wrong with the bike after 71000 miles that its best to buy a different bike financially.
Now I've been riding this bike for a year (always had issues with it but got it for basically nothing) and I am really wondering if it would be fun to switch to an SV650.

Little bit of info:
I've had my license for almost a year now, and I have only drove this 600 gixxer.
A lot of the times I tend to have fun on the gixxer but now that theres so much wrong with it that its basically not that safe to ride anymore I want to ride something that is fun and fast to ride as well
I do not have much bike choice because of the restricted licenses here and the gixxer was imported and "restricted" (everybody just removes the restrictor kinda, they dont check it) before a law came in that you can only restrict 70KW bikes max
Planning to do the same on the next bike
SV650s are dirt cheap here. around 2 k you have a nice 2004-6 model
Will I still have the same / more fun on a SV650 and will it be worth it?
Please talk me in to it if you want! :D

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts