Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
How many miles on your SV? I had this happen a few times with my (bought when new) '99 SV, but the issue went away as the miles added up (and no, not a newb mistake, I'd been riding for a couple of decades at that point). The consensus at the time (this was back in the early days) was that slight roughness on the shifting dogs led to drag that kept the 5-6 shift from happening smoothly, leading to a false neutral between the two. You're just going to have to keep piling on the miles in order to get this to clear up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
How many miles on your SV? I had this happen a few times with my (bought when new) '99 SV, but the issue went away as the miles added up (and no, not a newb mistake, I'd been riding for a couple of decades at that point). The consensus at the time (this was back in the early days) was that slight roughness on the shifting dogs led to drag that kept the 5-6 shift from happening smoothly, leading to a false neutral between the two. You're just going to have to keep piling on the miles in order to get this to clear up.
It has 15k. How many miles before yours stopped doing it?
Also do you still have the bike or at least an sv? I’m just wondering how the sv stacks up against other bikes because I’ve never really rode any other bikes besides dirt bikes and an r6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I had an '07 Hayabusa that pretty much refused to go into 6th gear with the clutch. Slide right in without the clutch, but it would spit it out into a false neutral pretty much every time if I clutched it. Top gear didn't get used all that often, and never did get much better the whole 27k miles I had it.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
568 Posts
I rode yesterday afternoon and on my shift from 2nd to 3rd it jumped out of third into free-rev (gen1 15k miles). I could have applied some pressure (preload) to the shifter, without meaning to, making this happen. But I challenge any members to try and find neutral between upper gears, Not easy. I was using the clutch, and not hard on the throttle, riding through my subdivision. I have been practicing my Moped-smooth shifting technique, so maybe I messed up. I hope so. I hope I'm not dealing with a tranny issue.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I rode yesterday afternoon and on my shift from 2nd to 3rd it jumped out of third into free-rev (gen1 15k miles). I could have applied some pressure (preload) to the shifter, without meaning to, making this happen. But I challenge any members to try and find neutral between upper gears, Not easy. I was using the clutch, and not hard on the throttle, riding through my subdivision. I have been practicing my Moped-smooth shifting technique, so maybe I messed up. I hope so. I hope I'm not dealing with a tranny issue.
On the SV, I've had it happen due to me just being lazy on the shifter movement. Half movement equaled a half shift.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
568 Posts
On the SV, I've had it happen due to me just being lazy on the shifter movement. Half movement equaled a half shift.
That's what I think happened. I am enjoying the smooth shift challenge. I get a perfect buttery smooth shift about half the time. The other half is a little more jerky, but improving. In my whole motorcycle career, mainly racing, I never concentrated much on shifting. Having fun.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
It has 15k. How many miles before yours stopped doing it?
Also do you still have the bike or at least an sv? I’m just wondering how the sv stacks up against other bikes because I’ve never really rode any other bikes besides dirt bikes and an r6.

Hmmm... I think mine cleared up after 8-9K miles. Then again I'd been riding for a couple of decades at that point.

·
Administrator
11,024 Posts
Bmetz99 comes every fourteen years, with the cicadas.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Lol, there is one simple fix for all false neutrals.. QUIT USING THE DAMN CLUTCH.
There is absolutely no reason to use the clutch on upshifts. Rev it to your shift point, upload the shifter lever, slight drop in throttle, and it'll fall right into the next gear.
No, contrary to what your Harley riding brother in law tells you, it won't "destroy the transmission". It is actually easier on the complete driveline than ill timed clutch usage upshifts.
I do this while riding normally but I’m not really comfortable going from full throttle letting out and pinning it again without the clutch yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is what I’m thinking. I just slapp it into 6th really quick and don’t get a full shift in.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts