Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the last few months i've been loving my new to me 07sv650s. but there has been at least 4 or 5 times that i was riding the bike and and went to shift and from fifth to sixth and it just went to neutral. will then shift up into 6th. all of them while i was shifting quickly. is this a common issue or does anyone know what the issue is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
AFAIK, there's no neutral between gears, except the one between 1st and 2nd gear, therefore I assume it must be some sort of shift malfunction or short-shifting.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
I've had this happen a few times too recently. Not sure which gear I was in, one of the upper ones, but it was like it was in neutral, free revved, like I missed a gear. It happened under hard acceleration. I'm hoping my gears are not going out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this happen a few times too recently. Not sure which gear I was in, one of the upper ones, but it was like it was in neutral, free revved, like I missed a gear. It happened under hard acceleration. I'm hoping my gears are not going out.
i was also accelerating. it seemed to go in just fine after though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't know if it will help but lots of people, "Blip" the throttle when changing gear . I prefer to not fully throttle down between shifts both up and down trying to match my engine speed to clutch mesh so I get super smooth changes. I've gotten so used to this technique my SV650/Bikes feel like they almost have , "Automatic" gearboxes :D

PS

Don't forget to set your gear lever to suite to your build/boots :)

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
Good info. Yesterday I took the shift linkage apart, cleaned it all with carb cleaner, packed it with grease, and adjusted the arms to right angles to the rod. This morning the shifting certainly feels a lot smoother.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My original gear lever had some slack so I fitted a newer one with the collapsible leg,

This did two jobs e.g tighten up the gear changes and protect the clutch if I drop the bike on the left hand side as this is a known weakness on the SV650 e.g if you drop the bike when parking it can screw up the clutch as the fixed gear lever rams the mechanism :O

Note: The adjuster nut at the footrest end is left-handed!

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Lol, there is one simple fix for all false neutrals.. QUIT USING THE DAMN CLUTCH.
There is absolutely no reason to use the clutch on upshifts. Rev it to your shift point, upload the shifter lever, slight drop in throttle, and it'll fall right into the next gear.
No, contrary to what your Harley riding brother in law tells you, it won't "destroy the transmission". It is actually easier on the complete driveline than ill timed clutch usage upshifts.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
My original gear lever had some slack so I fitted a newer one with the collapsible leg,

This did two jobs e.g tighten up the gear changes and protect the clutch if I drop the bike on the left hand side as this is a known weakness on the SV650 e.g if you drop the bike when parking it can screw up the clutch as the fixed gear lever rams the mechanism :O

Note: The adjuster nut at the footrest end is left-handed!
I've got something similar installed by the PO. Works well.

And I am getting much smoother with the shifting. Approaching "automatic" smooth.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Lol, there is one simple fix for all false neutrals.. QUIT USING THE DAMN CLUTCH.
You can get false neutrals with or without using the clutch.
You can also get super smooth upshifts using the clutch, and more consistently I would say since it requires less finesse. It's all about adjusting the clutch mechanism, cable freeplay and shifter lever exactly to your liking and being quick and deliberate when shifitng. This is not a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
You can also get super smooth upshifts using the clutch, and more consistently I would say since it requires less finesse. It's all about adjusting the freeplay and shifter lever exactly to your liking and being quick and deliberate when shifitng.
I've never gotten a false neutral when not using the clutch. And using the clutch takes "less finesse", where did you come up with that? Preload the shifter up and off/on the throttle, shift complete. Next best thing to a quick shifter.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
It does take more finesse to do it smoothly. Otherwise everybody would be doing clutchless upshifts by now.
If it wasn't for people saying it "takes more finesse", everybody would be doing clutchless upshifts by now.
It's the folks trying to make it out to be something far more complicated than it is that makes people afraid to do it. It's not some elitist "gotta have a race license" thing to do. Just a simple process, "upload the shifter, off/on the throttle", it's done.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
557 Posts
I've been trying this clutchless thing for a few days, and it's not so simple to get very smooth, buttery shifts. It has to do with the off/on throttle timing. Off throttle too much and it's a herky-jerky shift. My clutch shifts are like butter.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
When the shifts being missed are in the upper numbers I always think that the time during shifting is probably more responsible than the effort afforded. Yes if you get lazy you can miss shifts, but even when sufficient energy is imparted to the lever....if the dogs on the one gear don't immediately find holes to nest in you are going to not have gear engagement when you try to apply power. I find my self needing to be reminded when the motor isn't running very fast to give the transmission a little more time to accomplish the shift. When at redline the differences in ratio between each gearset means that they're running at different speeds and will mesh quickly, but when just puttering around the speed differences can be slight and the web forming the holes can block the lug until things rotate far enough to mesh. Don't try to increase your shift effort....increase the time you apply the force for more positive shifts into the upper gears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can also get super smooth upshifts using the clutch, and more consistently I would say since it requires less finesse. It's all about adjusting the clutch mechanism, cable freeplay and shifter lever exactly to your liking and being quick and deliberate when shifitng. This is not a cruiser.
Yeah I can do it much smoother with the clutch. but I also have much more practice working clutches in trails than with clutchless shifting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When the shifts being missed are in the upper numbers I always think that the time during shifting is probably more responsible than the effort afforded. Yes if you get lazy you can miss shifts, but even when sufficient energy is imparted to the lever....if the dogs on the one gear don't immediately find holes to nest in you are going to not have gear engagement when you try to apply power. I find my self needing to be reminded when the motor isn't running very fast to give the transmission a little more time to accomplish the shift. When at redline the differences in ratio between each gearset means that they're running at different speeds and will mesh quickly, but when just puttering around the speed differences can be slight and the web forming the holes can block the lug until things rotate far enough to mesh. Don't try to increase your shift effort....increase the time you apply the force for more positive shifts into the upper gears.
I hadn’t thought about that but that actually makes a lot of sense. I will try this.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've had my 99 four years (29,000 miles on it now) and I think I've only ever had one false neutral and that was when my oil was near my oil-change-cycle of 3,000 miles pre-emptive. The engine loves fresh oil so I recently changed at 2,750 miles :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts