Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear a lot of Lucky brand jeans. Although they are extremely soft and comfortable, I realized that if I go down in them, my ass is going to come out looking like raspberry pie. How many of you ride outfitted in great helmets, jackets, gloves, boots, and comfortable jeans? How many of you have gone down in them? What kind of damage was done to your body? I couldn't imagine the damage done to the ole braziole should I go down, and slide across concrete on my front side wearing my Luckys.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A buddy of mine went down on wet road in jeans about 6 weeks ago. His jeans held up but he was only doing about 10 mph at the time and only slid about 15 feet. However his right knee took a fair amount of abrasion damage from rubbing on the inside of the jeans.

You're right on the mark about everyone having great gear (minus riding pants) but there seems to be a huge disregard for any form of additional armor under any pair of jeans. To me it seems as if the thought about adding extra armor (Icon leg armor, Bohn armor) is akin to trying to tell certain riders to wear their helmets. FWIW I do this (Icon armor with A* Super Tech boots and Draggin Jeans) and almost feel naked on the few occasions that I don't use it.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Last accident that I had, I was wearing a full face helmet (Shoei RF200), leather jacket, cheap leather gauntlets, hiking boots and jeans. Face sheild on helmet was all scrapped up, back of leather jacket was scrapped up, cheap gauntlets wore thru fingers on left hand (I wound up with torned up knuckles and a broken arm), boots were fine, no damage at all, jeans shredded like paper, tore up both knees; emergency room doctor took an hour picking gravel out of my left knee (did get to hear him chew out the emergency room staff for not calling him sooner; was classic!); now I have ugly scar on my left knee.

At the very least, I wear my jacket, gloves (good ones), boots, helmet and draggin' jeans when I ride... even the small caes of road rash that I had was painful. I was lucky enough that one of the local shops carry Draggin' jeans in stock so I was able to try them on first.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
slappermouth said:
I've seen these....but it's hard enough to find regular jeans that fit right....buying jeans you can't try on first seems like a crap shoot.
If you can't find a place around that has them Draggin jeans will let you send them back as long as all the tags are in place. It is a PITA if you have to send them back but I think they are worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
if your going to get riding pants, buy leather or perforated leather.  no sense in wasting money on the cheap stuff only to get leather later.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many of you commute to work decked out in full gear?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I do. I just change at the office. Complete gear for me is:

Helmet (Scorpion EXO-700)
Komodo Back Protector
Icon Pursuit Leather Jacket
A* GP Plus Gloves
Draggin Jeans
Icon Leg Armor
A* Supertech boots

I may leave off the back protector and leg armor if I'm just shooting across town for a football game or something similar. And I'll use my Joe Rocket Orbit boots if I plan on being off the bike walking around for long period of time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
lkm said:
if your going to get riding pants, buy leather or perforated leather. no sense in wasting money on the cheap stuff only to get leather later.
Yep, what he said

·
Registered
73 Posts
slappermouth said:
How many of you commute to work decked out in full gear?
I do.

When my commute was shorter (<5 miles) I used to skimp on the gear. even crashed a couple of times just wearing shoes and regular pants. i was lucky enough to be completely uninjured but i don't risk it now that my commute is 15 miles and involves highway.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I aced up the pavement at about 55 or so wearin jacket, helmet, gloves and my favorite blue jeans. Put it this way, when it was all said and done it looked like I was wearin a torn red skirt. Not good for posterity. My right leg was fine, my left leg was shreeded to the knee, and now ive got some painful scar tissue on my left knee. Jeans suck

G

·
When I first looked at the title of this thread I thought it said.....

Going Down on Jean!

What a letdown!

I commute with textile overpants with work clothes underneath for quick change. Leather for sporty weekend jaunts.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I went down once in jeans... I was really surprised that they held up, in fact I'm still wearing them. But its was a really low speed and I didn't slide more than like 10 ft. I still waer jeans and full gear to work, but I would like some leather pants at some point. Problem is finding some that actually fit me. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Commuted to work this summer roughly 2-3 times a week (more if I could) and everytime I wore the same gear.  A* TZ-1 leather, JR Ballistic pants, JR boots, A* gloves, and my shoei.  Pants are big enough to fit over my dockers and have nice long zippers on the side so they slip on/off relatively easy.  I can put them in my luggage locker and then change my boots when I get inside.  

I've gotten a few looks walking in the office with all my gear on, but could really give a crap about anyone else's thoughts.  I'd rather sweat than bleed.  

After doing a bunch of trackdays, riding on the street with anything less than jacket and pants makes me feel naked.  But it's your choice............

1 - 20 of 97 Posts