Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for like the umpteenth time, boss is in a meeting or somewhere else where he can't be reached. Survey "orders" are relayed to me, to be sent to the field crew. Not major stuff. Things like "Hey, while they're out there, make sure they do this." Nothing costly, or all together time consuming.

Our latest project, doing storm as-builts on the York County Sports Complex. This involves locating each structure with our GPS, then "popping" all the manholes and DI lids, and measuring the depths of the pipes. Today, our engineer sends me an e-mail. They need general information on how much dirt/gravel/debris is in the system. Not specific structure numbers or a depth of the material... just something like "Hey, all the storm structures in Soccer Field A seems to have a lot of gravel."

So, when our field crew comes back in (cause he forgot some equipment :BangHead:), I relay the info.

"Well.... do you need me to go back through and pop all of them again?"
"No, just a quick look. Or if you can do it from memory."
"Welll..... uh.... it's gonna take me some time to do it, and pop all of them."
"You don't need to pop them. All we need is a general idea for the inspection cert."
"Well.... I mean I don't remember all of them... so I need a yes or no on what to do."
"Then yes, you need to look at all of them."
"Does George know about this?"
"No, he's in a meeting."
"Can he be interupted?"
"Probably not."

So he goes to get George, who's pi--ed that he's been interupted, and asks me why I couldn't "handle it". I explain what Vik (engineer) told me. George begins to spout off and ask why we weren't told to do this before and what-how and so-forth and all that noise. I explain that since we're already going out there, and simply looking at something takes all of 3 seconds, I don't see the issue.

So we go and talk to Vik, who tells George the SAME THING I just told him. General idea, 3 seconds, quick look. "Well, if it's just a quick look, we can do that, but we should have been told about it before.", George says. Fair enough on the "been told before" thing.

We go back, tell Shaun, and because George tells him, he's ok with it, and asks no questions.

I ask to talk to George outside, and immediately ask him WTF. If he's going to depend on me to "handle things" while he's in meetings, unavailable, or out of the office, he needs to TRUST ME on making the right decision. This whole thing could have been solved in 2 minutes, if Shaun would have just LISTENED TO ME. Not to mention this is the 4th or 5th time he's "thrown me under the bus", in telling me one thing, then going back on his word and agreeing with Shaun. :angry5:

I've already taken a cut in pay, been cut back on hours, been "demoted" to instrument man status, and had my work load doubled (doing both field work and office work). The least you could f-cking do is respect the fact that I'm a competent enough surveyor to know how and when things need to be done by our field crew!

:BangHead:

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Take a deep breathe, and be happy you still have a job.
This has been my saving grace for the last 6mos.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
The fact is, in that office nobody respects you and probably never will. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you. It is more due to George being unable to delegate and therefore being the 'only' person of authority.

thems the brakes (breaks?).

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
" AP: Virginia man goes berserk, takes hostages. Witnesses say they heard him screaming and threatening to sodomize co-workers w/ various equipment if authorites didn't deliver a Ducati 1098, a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's, and 100 pairs of Crocs. News at 11...."

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" AP: Virginia man goes berserk, takes hostages. Witnesses say they heard him screaming and threatening to sodomize co-workers w/ various equipment if authorites didn't deliver a Ducati S4RS Tricolore, a bottle of Russell's Original BBQ Sauce, and A Plane Ticket To Texas. News at 11...."
Fixed.

FWIW, I'm not all that upset by it, just frustrated, and nobody to b-tch to it about.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
" AP: Virginia man goes berserk, takes hostages. Witnesses say they heard him screaming and threatening to sodomize co-workers w/ various equipment if authorites didn't deliver a Ducati 1098, a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's, and 100 pairs of Crocs. News at 11...."
"....And now over to Ollie Williams for a report, live, from Williamsburg."

ShamWow ShamWow ShamWow.....

"Thank you Ollie for that rather peculiar report."

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The fact is, in that office nobody respects you and probably never will. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you. It is more due to George being unable to delegate and therefore being the 'only' person of authority.
As much as I hate to do it, I agree with Zach ;D.

I have been in that situation and it won't get better until you find a new job (which right now would be tough). That guy micro manages, pretends like he leaves you in charge but really just wants a baby sitter for the crew and he still wants to make any decision he deems important.

FWIW, I'm not all that upset by it, just frustrated, and nobody to b-tch to it about.
Feel free to complain here anytime, if people don't like it they don't have to read your posts :).

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want to hate my boss. George is one of the best bosses I've had. Par example: Next week my folks are in town. We're planning on doing another plantation tour, but want to make sure it's not cold, rainy, and sh-tty, like it was last year. So I have to wait until I see the weather before I can ask for a day off. I tell him this, and he's like, "Yeah, sure whatever."

If I'm sick, I call in, and don't get a guilt trip.

If I want to leave early to hit the post office, it's never a problem.

But when stuff like this happens, it annoys me to know end, and makes me wonder if he even respects me at all. He'll back me up one minute, then do a complete 180°, and make me feel like I'm the one who's got his facts wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts