Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to a restauraunt today for a party. havent been there before, and it was nice out, so i took the SV. got there to discover the parking lot is gravel. ok, annoying but whatever. keep riding through it, no spots yet, but realize its not just gravel but very very uneven gravel. very annoying but whatever. find a spot, start duckwalking it into it, and my right foot starts slipping. i try to do something but the bike is slowly but surely leaning to the right and i have no traction to stop it..... BAM. mother****er! ok, whats done is done - time to pick it up. first thing: put down the kickstand. check. now i reach under the tank and try to pull up. its way heavier than i expect (first time dropping this bike), my hands dont have enough grip, and the tires are sliding all over the gravel. mother****er! ok, now im very angry, cursing in my helmet, and people are watching (i swear some of them had popcorn, but was too busy to confirm). take off gloves and helmet, get a grip on the tank, and pull the thing up (adrenaline helped quite a bit at this point). whew, thats over. mirror is turned the wrong way, no major damage, so i roll it into the spot, lock the helmet, and go on my way (felt much easier to roll it at that moment thanks to the adrenaline)

got home, realigned mirror. damage report: some scratches on mirror, a bit of rash on the frame slider, a bit of rash on the exhaust pipe under the peg, a few new scratches on the bar end too. somehow nothing on front fender, tank, or any plastics :rock: (also somehow no scratches on me, didnt even get the jacket dirty despite clearly falling on the ground. weird)

im not exactly pleased with myself but im happy it was very minimal and that i havent had a chance to upgrade to a nicer bike yet :) oh well, live and learn, made the best of it and moving on

tl;dr: gravel sucks, thank god for frame sliders, gravel sucks, did i mention gravel sucks?

·
Registered
368 Posts
People were watching but none went over to help? People suck!

Where were you grabbing under the tank to lift the bike up? I always lift on the handlebar.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Gravel sucks.

Wait, you already said that.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
60 Posts
gravel sucks, frame sliders rule
Yes gravel sucks and love those sliders. As for picking it up yeh heavy as heck. I know there is the right way to do it, I have been tempted to lay mine down in the garage and practice it but just can't bring myself to try lol.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yep, gravel can make things tricky. Get longer legs. ;D

You found out that the SV as nimble and sexy as she is........ is not that light. At 428 lbs it can be a handful under such conditions. Most heavy street bikes will be. It just takes some body english, a little finesse and experience. You now have experience. The frame sliders are great for situations like this.

I've seen many street bikers struggle in gravel trying to maneuver their bikes in those lots and it seems like 1 out of about 20 is almost guaranteed to drop their bikes like you did, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just learn to expect that your feet are gonna slip and be prepared for it. :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I love gravel. But I am also not on a SV ;)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I haven't gotten a chance to get out on any snow and ice on DR. Z.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
People were watching but none went over to help? People suck!

Where were you grabbing under the tank to lift the bike up? I always lift on the handlebar.
russians are like that :(
i just grabbed what seemed logical, which was center of mass rather than clipons. maybe next time ill try bars lol

Yep, gravel can make things tricky. Get longer legs. ;D

You found out that the SV as nimble and sexy as she is........ is not that light. At 428 lbs it can be a handful under such conditions. Most heavy street bikes will be. It just takes some body english, a little finesse and experience. You now have experience. The frame sliders are great for situations like this.

I've seen many street bikers struggle in gravel trying to maneuver their bikes in those lots and it seems like 1 out of about 20 is almost guaranteed to drop their bikes like you did, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just learn to expect that your feet are gonna slip and be prepared for it. :)
mine is likely lighter than stock too (exhaust, no fairing, etc). i dont know if it was the gravel itself or the bumpiness of it (or both). +1 on the longer legs, was waiting for that one lol

your mistake, keep feet on pegs, usin yer feet as outriggers balances your body, not the bike
interesting. i didnt feel safe turning that slowly with feet up, partly because of the bumps and potholes. maybe i need practice or something, thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and one more thing:

thank god for fuel injection!!!!!!

when i dropped my ninja the carb flooded and it wouldnt start for 2 hours. this time, fired right up, no ands ifs or buts, like a boss :evil6:

·
Registered
493 Posts
My drive way is 150 ' gravel so I get to practice every day :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, gravel sucks. A few stray pieces on the road from a parking lot threw my front wheel sideways under a panic stop when the car in front of me locked up their tires when they realized they missed the parking lot. Even at 50 mph, the frame sliders did and excellent job. Too bad I didn't have rear sliders at that point, might have prevented my major surgery on the Yoshi can.

Glad the damage was minimal!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The place that does motorcycle licensing in Phoenix has a gravel parking lot. I remember when I went down there I was still very inexperienced on the bike and gravel was the last thing on my mind. Bit of a shock when I got there but I just went slow and all was well.

Years of dirt bike experience helps a ton of course. I actually took the bike up and down a short gravel road fairly recently just to test it out. I remember reading somewhere that the SV isn't too shabby at it and they were right. Just don't put your feet down.

It's not much help in a parking lot, but remember that the faster you go the more stable the bike is. Weighting the pegs will keep your center of gravity low. Also, the front isn't gonna be nearly as responsive. You just gotta get used to it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Heck, If gravel was a huge problem there'd be no street bikes in my neck of the woods. I have 1/4 mile of gravel leaving my house to get to paved road. This is common. All my neighbors have bikes. Mostly huge Harleys. The mow strip in the driveway is way squirrely in the winter though. Mud is way worse than gravel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yup, my driveway is 1/2 mile of gravel and dirt (aka MUD whenever it rains).

Also, at 5 foot nothing tall I lose no pride when getting off the SV and pushing it into or out of a parking spot. I kept the grab bar on it and it is so very handy :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts