Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched for a while on this topic but not found what I was looking for:

Here is the deal.

I am a new rider ( had my SV for 2 months) and am all about riding with gear, ALL the time. After taking my MSF course I searched on my local Craigslist for some gear and found some SP1's for a great deal. Only worn 2-3 times on a ride. The fit just trying them on in his driveway was great but as soon as I got home and rode around with them, I felt totally restricted. I really had to change my grip just to reach the turn signal. even in a neutral riding position, they felt uncomfortable. They also were always binding up with my jackets whether it be a full leather or summer mesh jacket. I think that this was not due to the gloves themselves but just the fit with my hand. I went to the local shop and found some ICON Accelerants that just fit perfectly. Now I feel naked without them. Amazingly comfortable and with no restriction.

Here is the problem:

I just read a recent thread on importance of gear and most members commented on how important full wrist protection was. The Accelerants only cover my hand and have no "gauntlet" style protection like the SP1's have. Should I look into some fuller protecting gloves and do away with my current ones that I love? I'm sure there is a glove out there that might work to fulfill both needs but I am having a hard time finding it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and for your help.

*** Also. I have a pair of NEARLY new SP1's for sale. $50 OBO and they are yours. Size L.

Thanks again.

Jordan

·
Chief Greeter
28,652 Posts
Hi SV1019, I would just wear them until you need to look for another pair. I have short gloves but I really like them. And they are still holding up pretty well 1 year later.

I'll look for a picture of them.

·
Chief Greeter
28,652 Posts

I have these but in black. Before I got these I got A* glove that felt restricted and didn't like it, exchanged them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just bought the smx carbon 3 whizbang whatever they're called kneedraggers featured them on their frontpage for awhile. :) They seem to fit pretty well, correctly around the main part of my hand although the fingers feel a touch too long but they should be fine. I know this doesn't answer your question whatsoever. :D

unnecessarily high-res version just for grins! WARNING: i have a very cheap web host

·
Registered
276 Posts
My advice would be to visit a Cycle Gear store or perhaps one of your local dealers if they have a decent selection of gauntlet gloves. Wear your jacket, and try on gloves, til you find a pair that fits your hand and your jacket comfortably. The higher end gauntlets will have more adjustments. Usually one at the wrist for adjusting to your hand, and one on the gauntlet portion, for adjusting to the cuff of your jacket.

Also, understand that there is some break-in time with leather gloves. Typically, they will stretch a bit, so you want them to fit fairly snug when you buy them. Thier length, however, usually doesn't shrink. I have short fingers, I buy gloves that the fingers fit, and let the glove stretch and form to my hand on break-in. Some times it takes a bit if they are fairly tight. I do that for any glove I buy, not just moto gloves.

Dan

______

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
SV,

The gauntlet serves two purposes. It covers the end of your jacket sleeve and will help prevent your jacket from riding up on those really long slides, thus helping prevent road rash on your lower arms. It also keeps the cold air from whistling up your sleeve. So, if you aren't racing in Iceland, the shorties probably will be just fine. Especially if they are comfortable enough to wear all the time.

·
Chief Greeter
28,652 Posts
I went to the local shop and found some ICON Accelerants that just fit perfectly. Now I feel naked without them. Amazingly comfortable and with no restriction.

These are the gloves you have?

I've never seen a glove with a zipper on there like that. As long as you like them, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not seeing the option to where I can insert pics of my my current gloves or pics I have of the gloves for sale. I am used to my skydiving forum where I can just add a link to my pics saved on my computer. Could one of you help direct me on how to do this.... By the way.... thanks for the replies.

Just to add: SKydiving used to be, and still is a way of life for me. Riding my SV is just a new way to continue the thrill while I am not in the air. I love my SV and am excited to modify my ride and continue to be a better/safer rider. I love this site and all I learn from it.

Thanks Guys/Gals.

Jordan

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
You will need to subscribe to a photo web hosting site like flickr or photobucket. Host your photos there then you can post them here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

These are the gloves you have?

I've never seen a glove with a zipper on there like that. As long as you like them, that's all that matters.
Those are them exactly. Love them. Will not ride without them. Again, reading the "Gear Recommendation" thread really made me think about what I wear while I ride. I appreciate all the input from experienced riders. The upgrades (gear and bike) have just begun. This website is such an amazing source of information for all of us that love to ride our SV's

Jordan

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
You DON'T have to wear gauntlet gloves. You can wear shorty gloves if you want to. Understand the risks of each type of gear you choose and go from there.

That being said I have and love the comfort of the A* SMX 3 shorty gloves. They are my daily commuter gloves down here in Florida.

:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'm with gitoy. Held gloves are among my favorites, and the Held Steve gloves are the only thing I'll use in hot weather. Their cold weather gloves are equally good. Costly, but they wear like iron.

Gauntlets are the best choice. They keep stuff out of your sleeves, like bugs for example, stinging bugs in particular.

·
Registered
74 Posts
make sure they're ALL leather, ALL the way around. I had some cortechs that had leather in the palm and fingers and when i crashed in them the non-leather mesh part just shredded through and I ended up with pretty bad scrapes on my hands.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi @williamyousaf . All the five contributions you've made so far consist in resurrecting long dead threads (up to 14 years old). The links in those threads are long dead and most of the commenters are not participating here anymore, so reviving these threads is pointless.

Are you just looking to get your post count up so you can sell something on here, or why are you doing this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts