Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo... I tried on my helmet today, to make sure it fit (my friend had some issues with his fitment, and him worrying about it got me worried, so I had to check). Anyway, I wear glasses (I've worn contacts before, but have none for my current prescription - I was thinking of getting lasik... but....) and I close up the visor on my lid with glasses on, and BAM instant fog. My entire lenses are all fogged up. Open up the lid, figuring - well hey - maybe this will help. nope. Fog. Anyone have experience riding with glasses under their lid? Should I just suck it up and go get contacts? Or is this gonna be fine when I'm moving on the road?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You might want to try going to your local bike shop or Denniskirk.com and getting a scotts antifog lens wipe to use on your glasses or some sort of anti fog spray cleaner/coating...I have the scott wipe for my street helmet and dirtbike goggles and so far it's worked wonders and it'll keep the fog away as long as you don't clean with anything else ie:windex.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Get lasik....I had it in april '08...so easy so fast....so cheap too 1000 dollars lol (did it in a third world country which happens to be very good at this. ppl from all the world go there) it's worth it. Invest in your bike why not in yourself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wear glasses and usually try to just crack my visor a little bit to get that little bit more of an air flow at lower speeds. I tried the anti fog sprays and had no luck, they just did not work for me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cat crap didn't work for me, need to try something different. When moving mine don't fog too bad unless it's raining or humidity is super high. Every time I pull up to a stop, I crack the shield open to let in some fresh air.

I've also developed a habit of not exhaling forcefully, as that contributes to my fogging.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sooo... I tried on my helmet today, to make sure it fit (my friend had some issues with his fitment, and him worrying about it got me worried, so I had to check). Anyway, I wear glasses (I've worn contacts before, but have none for my current prescription - I was thinking of getting lasik... but....) and I close up the visor on my lid with glasses on, and BAM instant fog. My entire lenses are all fogged up. Open up the lid, figuring - well hey - maybe this will help. nope. Fog. Anyone have experience riding with glasses under their lid? Should I just suck it up and go get contacts? Or is this gonna be fine when I'm moving on the road?

some airflow will definetly help as long as its not really really humid, but if its after a rain or its really steamy and you dont have some kind of fog blocker you are not gonna be able to see much. here in florida it gets pretty wet and i have only had issues a couple of times
where i was blinded by the fog. ussualy during or right after rain or at night when its kind of wet and theres no sun to burn off the moisture. get some airflow and you should be fine but
keep a bottle of antifog handy just in case.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Normally airflow when on the bike will prevent fogging, unless you're using a breath guard. In that case, take the breath guard out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ditch the glasses and get lasik, I had it done a year ago cost me $3200 but I am 20/20 in each eye, before that 20/25 was the best they could get me with coke bottle glasses.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Is it true that your natural tear production is reduced when you get LASIK?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Is it true that your natural tear production is reduced when you get LASIK?
It can be, yes, plus people who have dry eyes normally may be a bad candidate.

I know many people who love Lasik and tell everyone it's the most wonderful thing ever. I also know a few people who despise it and tell everyone it's awful because they had problems. One guy had 8 touch-ups and his vision still has problems in the left eye. My old boss sees stars permanently now. A lady I worked with had it done and has visual distortion.

If you consider it, please do lots of research first. Get evaluations from more than one doctor.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com

·
Registered
528 Posts
I do have to use drops a couple times a day, but I also live in the desert and have always had a little problem with my tears. The cavity between my eyes and my sinus' is huge (if I plug my nose and blow you can hear air whistling out of the bottom of my eye's). My Dr. said if it ever begins to bother me they can plug them. I don't really mind it because if you buy the good eye drops they feel fantastic when you use them.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I find that I get loss fogging if I put on my helmet and glasses indoors. It seems that less of a temperature shock helps to keep the fog away.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wonder if I'm one of the few people left who actually likes wearing glasses. 10 years with them now and not once have I even considered getting contacts or lasik. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

So yeah, I ride with glasses. My old helmet, a Scorpion EXO400 I think, was really good with dealing with fog. Only once did it ever really fog up but thats because I accidentally covered the vents with my balaclava on a really wet day. My new helmet, a GMax something, isn't as good, but I don't really have a problem when moving. If the situation is such that I know it'll fog when I come to a stop, I'll just open the visor a crack.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought it was uncomfortable to wear glasses with a helmet. It was what prompted me to get contacts. I also had the fogging problem and didn't want to deal with it. I think the contacts are easier but that's just my two cents. I don't like the idea of people screwing with my eyes so lasik is out for me. One tiny little mistake and you are blind - and my luck is such that I would be that statistic.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wonder if I'm one of the few people left who actually likes wearing glasses. 10 years with them now and not once have I even considered getting contacts or lasik. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

So yeah, I ride with glasses. My old helmet, a Scorpion EXO400 I think, was really good with dealing with fog. Only once did it ever really fog up but thats because I accidentally covered the vents with my balaclava on a really wet day. My new helmet, a GMax something, isn't as good, but I don't really have a problem when moving. If the situation is such that I know it'll fog when I come to a stop, I'll just open the visor a crack.
+1

Usually only have fogging on my glasses when I'm stopped with my visor closed - don't think I've had my glasses fog and my visor not fog. Don't know if other helmet's have this but the shoei has a small open setting (maybe 1/4") that is pretty good for slow speeds and that is usually good enough if I'm moving at all. I usually try and breath a little shallow if I'm stopped and don't want to open my visor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts