Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let the bike sit for many months and of course it refuses to start. I am sure it is a fuel delivery issue as I can give it a squirt of starting fluid and it will fire right up.

I added fresh fuel to the tank, non-ethanol if that matters, but still no joy. The tank had that obvious smell of old fuel. 100% my fault for neglecting it.

Is there anything I can add to the fuel that is in the tank that might help me out? I really don't want to start tearing things apart.

Thanks in advance.

Gil

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nope..
Presuming the fuel pump is cycling on (it is, isn't it?), I'd start by taking the tank off, dump the gas, get the pump out and make sure the filter isn't clogged with gunk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gahhh... Yeah I hear the pump 'whirring'. I was sort of hoping that everything just needed to get re-primed(sp?) but I guess not. The battery died and I just forgot all about it as I don't ride it. Just got around to getting a new battery last week. I usually crank it up every now and again and go in circles in the back yard. Okay...well if that's what it needs I guess I need to find a service manual.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Problem with fuel injected engines is that there may be gunk in the fuel lines and injectors too. That'll take some work to rectify too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been trying to sell but no one wants to buy.

The tank doesn't look to difficult to remove so I guess I'll have a go at it. Take it from there is all I can do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tank is off and pump is out. Pump is also disassembled and the filter was nasty! Brown varnish and the filter though wet was sticky. I've ordered a new one.

O-rings look good as does the plastic bits. I only see/feel some rust near the bottom of the tank where the pump mounts. I might try some Scotchbright on that.

Not a difficult job so far. Next is to look at the fuel lines running to the injectors.

·
very big dumb
8,589 Posts
the filter that you can see is the strainer. the real high pressure filter is inside the plastic housing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to look again. I see pump itself. There is the/a pressure regulator(?) too.By inside the housing are you referring to the pump enclosure or inside of the strainer?

Appreciate the help.

·
very big dumb
8,589 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My pump looks nothing like that. I did see what looked like a mesh material inside the regulator though but it was shiny so I'm not worried about that. If that's the second filter. Just waiting on parts now.

If there is a filter in the upper part of the pump housing it's going to have to stay as-is. There isn't any way to get to it as it's all molded into one part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got the filter reinstalled and the tank on the bike. Is there any special way to get the fuel line coupling reattached to the tank outlet? Seems to be really hard to get back on and I certainly do not want to break that little blue plastic piece. Everything is lined up and I think the tank outlet is completely into the coupling. Can I do it with just my hands/fingers or is a tool needed as is used on cars?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took a break, went back and as you said it pretty much just popped in. Thanks for the advice. I obviously was not doing something correct.

Bike still will not start but I'm guessing the parts downstream of the fuel pump are probably all gunked up too. I'll have to look over the manual and see what is required to get to those lines, etc. At least the tank, pump, and filter are okay.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes...I'm hoping that isn't an issue. I plan to disconnect the line feeding the injectors and see if fuel will pump from there. Otherwise it's back into the tank I go! :cautious:

edit: looks to be a dead fuel pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts