Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2009 Gladius and a week later went on a road trip (just so happened to be the hottest weekend yet with 100+ degree F temps).

The previous owner had purchased a new battery for it, but I am not sure how long the bike was sitting with that battery.

I was riding on the trip when all of a sudden the tach and other led info stopped functioning. Moments later the bike lost all power and the throttle no longer worked.

I jumped the bike and it worked fine, until stopping for fuel when it needed to be jumped again to start back up. I eneded up buying a new battery after the 3rd jump, which worked fine until the next day when the bike needed to be jumped again after fueling. Finally after a couple stops, we removed the hi and low headlight fuses and the bike started up fine.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Did the heat cause a short somewhere maybe past the alternator? (my dad's fuel in his bike was boiling so we think the heat may be a factor). Why is it working with those two fuses removed?

I attempted searching the forums, but was exactly sure on the words to search, so sorry if this is a repost.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 09's had a recall on the voltage regulator/rectifier. Have you had the done yet?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Seems like your charging system is not maintaining the battery voltage. When replacing a battery for starting issues, it's always wise to check the charging system specs while running the motor. The battery is able to function with the headlight off since you have removed that drain on the battery. Maybe the R/R is "just" charging the batttery, the headlight puts the load over the top. I would charge the battery with an off bike charger, meter the voltage at rest(12.5-13VDC) and then while idling(13+) and at 5Krpm(13.5-15V). If the numbers are below these especially at 5K, I would be suspect of the R/R.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've recently purchased a 2009 Gladius and a week later went on a road trip (just so happened to be the hottest weekend yet with 100+ degree F temps).

The previous owner had purchased a new battery for it, but I am not sure how long the bike was sitting with that battery.

I was riding on the trip when all of a sudden the tach and other led info stopped functioning. Moments later the bike lost all power and the throttle no longer worked.

I jumped the bike and it worked fine, until stopping for fuel when it needed to be jumped again to start back up. I eneded up buying a new battery after the 3rd jump, which worked fine until the next day when the bike needed to be jumped again after fueling. Finally after a couple stops, we removed the hi and low headlight fuses and the bike started up fine.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Did the heat cause a short somewhere maybe past the alternator? (my dad's fuel in his bike was boiling so we think the heat may be a factor). Why is it working with those two fuses removed?

I attempted searching the forums, but was exactly sure on the words to search, so sorry if this is a repost.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

Bigger concern here to me is why the f is your dads gas boiling. I would be just a little concerned about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've called the dealer to order the part as the bike has an outstanding recall for the voltage regulator. After thetruck454 mentioned it, I read up on it (http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/comment/175943) and believe this to be the issue, especially as it is heat realated and the day the issue began, temperatures were 105 degrees F and who knows what the bike temps were at (thats why my dad's gas was boiling, I believe fuel begins to boil over 100 degrees F and as all the heat was rising from the engine on his bike, it acted as a heat source).

I'll repost once the recall is complete to let you know the results. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've called the dealer to order the part as the bike has an outstanding recall for the voltage regulator. After thetruck454 mentioned it, I read up on it (http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/comment/175943) and believe this to be the issue, especially as it is heat realated and the day the issue began, temperatures were 105 degrees F and who knows what the bike temps were at (thats why my dad's gas was boiling, I believe fuel begins to boil over 100 degrees F and as all the heat was rising from the engine on his bike, it acted as a heat source).

I'll repost once the recall is complete to let you know the results. Thanks for all the help!

heh. Just read up on it. Apparently "winter" gas can boil as low as 90F. I never knew this or have seen it. I probably would have run away from the bike screaming like a little schoolgirl if I saw that. learn something new everyday I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts