Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In RIDER magazine June '09 issue , just got it , they like everything about the bike ,except the seat (too hard) and the suspension (too soft)
Dyno test : 69bhp @ 8,500 rpm ,and 45 lb-ft torque @ 7,800 rpm. :p.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Dyno test : 69bhp @ 8,500 rpm ,and 45 lb-ft torque @ 7,800 rpm. :p.
Hmm (from sport rider):
03 SV 72.5hp @ 8750 rpm, 47.2 ft-lb @ 7250 rpm
02 SV 68hp @ 9000rpm, 44.2 ft-lb @ 7500 rpm

Looks like they moved backwards...
I'd be interested to see the actual dyno graph on it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
for comparison:

Gladie looks like a smoother HP curve, and higher and flatter torque up to 5k, but it looks allot like the Gen 1 curve.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with the suspension review, I sat on one last night and it was cushy. I really liked the way the bike looked compared to pictures though. I don't like the stock sv in pictures either.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can tell you that yesterday evening I wished that my 05 SV had the extra pounds that the new Gladius has.

I rode to the next town over after work to pick up a new set of hand grips, and the wind was so strong, that if felt as if the bike was leaning like on a curve but I was going on a straight road...

I love the weight of my bike when I am man handling in the garage, but on the next windy day, the bike is staying home, that was frikin scary yesterday.

A trip that usually takes me 25min ended up taking 45min becuase of how slow I had to go, at times it almost felt as if I was floating on the air with nothing underneath me, so the little extra weight on the Gladius is quite welcome...

I got to see a Black Gladius and the ER-N6 next to each other at the dealer, the Kawy looks more hype on that electric blue and with more sexy lines, but the Gladius looks more solid and better built.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
wait till the first full exhaust and good remaps are out. this motor will be a powerhouse methinks
I'm pretty sure most of the power is being sucked up by the tighter emission standards and cat converter it now comes with. I'd say add 5hp and 6-7 ft/lbs of TQ once is starts to exhale better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can tell you that yesterday evening I wished that my 05 SV had the extra pounds that the new Gladius has.

I rode to the next town over after work to pick up a new set of hand grips, and the wind was so strong, that if felt as if the bike was leaning like on a curve but I was going on a straight road...

I love the weight of my bike when I am man handling in the garage, but on the next windy day, the bike is staying home, that was frikin scary yesterday.

A trip that usually takes me 25min ended up taking 45min becuase of how slow I had to go, at times it almost felt as if I was floating on the air with nothing underneath me, so the little extra weight on the Gladius is quite welcome...

I got to see a Black Gladius and the ER-N6 next to each other at the dealer, the Kawy looks more hype on that electric blue and with more sexy lines, but the Gladius looks more solid and better built.
A milkshake for breakfast, another for lunch... and soon you'll gain the weight you're missing. :D

Did you really just wish that a bike was heavier? Really?

....really?

Back here in the real world, what you should do to increase your stability is not slow down, but rather speed up. By increasing your speed, you increase the gyroscopic forces in the wheels, adding to your over all stability.

Slowing down reduces the gyroscopic forces and allows you to be more susceptible to the wind, allowing you to get blown from one lane to the next.

--
This thread is lacking pictures, so here is a pic from a ride "with wind"

--

This thread is also failing to point out the target market of the glaudius is people more concerned about "form before function"... Have you not seen the Glaudius mini-site? It very successfully captures the market segment that is missing from most bike manufacturers: the metro-sexual rider. (this is a bigger market segment than you would think, since not all riders want to be The Wild One.)

http://www.gladiusstyle.com/

It isn't bad, it is only different. Performance isn't the goal of the target market, ease of riding and style have top billing. If you are looking for a newer/badder/faster SV you are looking in the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I didn't get my mag yet... booooo....

Anyways, I remember when the 03's were released and most of us thought they were hideous. Now, I like the 2nd gen bikes. I think the Gladius will fall along that same path as well.

Atleast Suzuki actually came through on the motor. They said, more usuable power (read torque). Sure, it's not as strong HP wise as an 03, but the dip from the 02 motor isn't there anymore. And as always, different dyno's at different times, but a good comparison.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts