Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know theres been lots of posts about this, but I need more details. I have a 2002 sv650s, will any year gixxer 600 rear shocks work on my bike? Also, how difficult is it to install? Will I have to drill new holes, cut some metal, or is it just a simple bolt on operation? Please reply! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
the 01 and up GSXR shocks are a little short for the first gen sv's, an SRAD shock 97-00 would be higher but harder to find a shock in good condition, a 636 shock is popular also, there are millions of writeup's on the subject

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ahh, my favorite subject.

I guess reading is too much for ya. Thats ok, im rusty on this anyway...

Pick the shock based on your weight, not how easy it is to put in or what all the masses of people are saying.
IIRC, the newer gix 600 shocks are good if your under 150lbs (these are also pretty short, so will need new dogbones) Gix 1ks are better if your 150-190 (almost same length), and 636/ZX10 are better if your 190+ (again, almost same). I would be looking for one that is at least 2001 or newer.

For any of those the install operation is pretty much the same. You have to cut the battery holder on the tank hinge and modify the battery box location. You will also have to move the battery slightly so that it will clear the new shock reservoir. Thats the short version, if you want more... look up something with pictures.

After you get shock in, be sure to set sag and adjust dampening to the middle settings.

If I messed that up somewhere, feel free to chime in... like I said, im a lil rusty on that info.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Throttlecrazed said:
After you get shock in, be sure to set sag and adjust dampening to the middle settings.

If I messed that up somewhere, feel free to chime in... like I said, im a lil rusty on that info.
For dampening, you'll need a towel that has been soaked in water, but wrung out so it's not dripping.

For damping, you'll want to use a screw driver to change the settings on the shock.

Thanks for letting me chime in! ;D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maritan said:
For dampening, you'll need a towel that has been soaked in water, but wrung out so it's not dripping.

For damping, you'll want to use a screw driver to change the settings on the shock.

Thanks for letting me chime in! ;D
Maybe thats why im rusty on this subject...

·
Registered
432 Posts
You guys can save some bloody knuckles and set the spring preload to max before you even put the shock in. Unless you're 120lbs you're gonna get a couple of inches of sag.

·
Registered
22 Posts

05 10r, 02 stock, 98 gsxr, 04 gsxr

I weigh 150ish heres my thoughts:

04 gsxr was good except for the lower ride height (I had 100mm dogbones), 98 gsxr was great except for the very soft spring, 10r was a tad hard, but after some tuning works wonderfully (still using the 100mm dogbones...shortest that will work with this shock)

·
Registered
278 Posts
durx said:
I weigh 150ish heres my thoughts:

04 gsxr was good except for the lower ride height (I had 100mm dogbones), 98 gsxr was great except for the very soft spring, 10r was a tad hard, but after some tuning works wonderfully (still using the 100mm dogbones...shortest that will work with this shock)
I wish you had a GSXR 1k in there. I did the same thing, bought a bunch and tried them all. Im 140lbs tho so I kept the GSXR 600 with 97mm dogbones. The GSXR 1k shock was tempting because it was longer but sag numbers were off a little for me. At your weight I think its the perfect shock.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So the SRAD shock is no good??? I thought I read somewhere that it was a good shock to get except that its getting harder to find them in good shape?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one in fine shape...wasn't hard to find, but for me to like it a lot id've have to have it resprung ~ $100. Kinda defeats the purpose. The black does look pretty pimp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yea i did a search and found it was too soft, found a really good table full of the lengths and how heavy the spring was. I guess from what I gathered from that for a first gen and my weight its probably a gixxer 1k 03-04 years or a kaw 636 or zx10. I kind of like the kaw shocks because they wouldnt require different dog bones to be made up.

So I suppose I will set out for one of those 3. Any other opinions for someone who has an 01 SVS and weighs 175?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
this is all for first gen sv's

the 636 shock seems to work the best in the stock shock catigory, the busa is a nice option if the rider is a little heavier +200lbs, the damping and compression will not be perfect but better than stock

the SRAD shock is long and too lightly sprung, it is also hard to find a suitable shock, they are pretty old by now, i'd probably skip them

the 01-05 600 and 750 shocks are a little short, they might be a good option if you want the bike a little lower, the 03-04 1000 shock is a little longer but still a little short for the stock bike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts