Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Givi T437 Gold Tank bag from a local dealer, for $119. I have been wanting a larger tank bag, and I also want to put together a full luggage set up. I have looked at several, and I've found this one the most appealing so far. Here is a link with a pretty good picture.

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=28748

First Impressions:

The bag seems very well made. The zippers are pretty heavy duty, and the material is thick and seems durable. I like the size of the side pockets. The top map pocket is plenty big, and the entiere bag zips off the magnetic base to form a backpack that I will probably never use. Still, it seems like a good design. The magnetic base itself has a map pocket, should you choose to leave the bag at home. The main compartment opens with dual zippers. The lid has a couple of loops for pens or markers, and a net for organizing things. the bottom of the main compartment also has a pouch that appears to designed for a water bladder. There are 2 metal d-rings for attachment of the included shoulder strap. It came with 2 different shoulder straps for some reason.

The bag itself is a bit large for what I would prefer on an everyday commute. I knew that when I bought it, and had planned on using my smaller tank bag for close-to-home riding. Unexpanded, I can still see the speedometer though, so it should work great for trips.

There are 4 magnets, one under each corner of the bag. They all contact the tank on the top, there are no flaps hanging down over the sides. It comes with a retaining strap with buckles to further secure the bag to the yoke of the bike. The magnet strength seems adequate, but they aren't as large or as strong as those in my smaller bag. I think it would ride fine without the retainings strap, but the strap makes it easier when you need to move the bag to add fuel. There are also d-rings at each corner, and nylon straps are included, as an alternate/additional method of securing it to the bike.

After trying it out, and finding myself pretty happy with my purchase, I started getting creative.

I had intended to purchase a couple different tail bags in the future. One for longer trips, and one for commuting and day trips. I will likely only need one tail bag now, for longer trips. Using the 4 d-rings, and the nylon straps, this bag is a perfect fit to strap to the pylon seat. Its rock solid with the buckled straps, but could be secured with bunji cords just as well, and would be easier to remove and carry with you. This should serve well, for a rain suit, and lunch, to and from work, or on day trips when the weather is doubtful. It will negate the need for a tank bag for those trips, and fill its intended role as tank bag when I have a full set of luggage.

After this initial impression, I will very likely fork out the cash for the matching tail bag, and saddle bags, when I finish out my set up.

Anyone with experience with these bags, I would appreciate your impressions, and if anyone has any questions, ask away. I will update the thread if I experience any negatives, or unexpected positives.

Dan

_______

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is the tank bag I have – it’s the smallest they make and is plenty big enough for me to throw stuff in for jaunts around the area.http://giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=31243

The tail bag I have Givi doesn’t make any more shame too cause it’s great for a weekend trip all by itself.

These are the saddle bags I chose to get haven’t used em on a trip yet but they will obviously haul one heck of a lot of stuff.
http://giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=17979

I picked this all up in 07 and the Givi stuff is very well made and quite sturdy – should last for some time.

You definitely made a good choice. :thumbsup:

If I could post pics I have a shot of the bike with the tail bag and tank bag sitting at the end of Highway 25 where it T's into Highway 198. I took a short trip back in June/July of 08 and posted this on another forum. Scroll down to the second post and the see the first pic - it shows the roll tail bag that Givi used to make. I had everything I needed for 5 days in those two bags on the bike. Course I was staying with relatives too ;D

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255256

Also you can click on the pic to enlarge it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bought the same bag...waited to afford a Givi so that I would have a tank bag that would last. Short story, my first trip, the zipper started to separate from the fabric...disappointing

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been considering givi stuff myself..this write-up really helped put it into perspective. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts