Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

Looking for some suggestion on Givi Monokey top box setup. According to Givi, the Monkey top box should fit the 3111fz rack, but the holes don't seem to align. If I've done something wrong, could you let me know please?

Thanks!
Automotive tire Finger Bumper Bicycle part Personal protective equipment
Helmet Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Luggage and bags

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get all the bolts just started in their holes. Even if they don't line up perfect.
Then go around the horn and tighten each a few turns at a time to distribute the, uhhh, tightening load.
Worked for me on a MC luggage rack with that issue, and today on a shower grab bar install. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hwy 650XRider, did you get it done? It looks like in your pic you are trying to install the base plate on top the seat???

I installed mine yesterday. The only real problem was getting the 4 bolts under the tail back in with the metal bracket.
Once I got extra hands to hold the diving board / tail piece up the 2 longer screws went in pretty easy. The 2 shorter ones not so easy. I manage to get the one to the right side of the bike in after much sweating and cursing. But even my impersonation of Al Pacino in Scarface did not get the other one in. It's up in there and I could not find a position where I could see it as I tried to get the socket in there and start it. I think I need a way to see it and make sure I am getting it in straight, and not cross threaded. Going by feel was not working and finally I found a skinny bolt I could drop throught the hole and put a nut on for temporary.

Maybe if I was left handed I could sit on the right side of the bike and do it, but I can't even screw in a light bulb left handed. Works for now and I will have to come back to that later. Maybe if I had a lift I could get a better look and reach in there.

Anyway, it sits kind of high, but I don't notice it back there when riding. Looks big and I would not mind a box more the size of a boot box. But it's a nice improvement in function, even if they say max load 3 Kg. I think they say max 120 Kph or something. To which I say, yeah right, ROTFLMAO. :ROFLMAO:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help! I had to change to Givi Monokey Universal plate and it fits well. They should update their page on the misinformation on M7 plates with 3111fz rack though.

Regarding the bolts, I had the same issue. The trick was to not bolt too tight because there will be distortion on the smaller bolt. Slow and steady will get you a reasonable traction on both the bolts.

Also, regarding the safety guidelines on the top-box, the limit is 10kgs, but I've taken more than 20kgs and at over 160kmph with no issues :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, 650xRider!

Just faced the same problem trying to install the M7 plate (listed as compatible in all major stores I looked at...). Could you give us the number model of the plate you ended using? Any tip about where could I check an actual compatibility list? The official information about 3111fz is quite disappointing...

Greetings and thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Nakmor,

I used the GIVI E251 Monokey Topcase plate. It's got a honeycomb pattern that VFR4Lee mentioned above. You should be able to fit it to any rack because it's got many slots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts