Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a couple of my acquaintances found out i had an SV and the one guy called it a girls bike and told me to get a real one. they then went on to talk about pure race tires they bought for their bikes that they got a lot of miles out of them (1500) i was like o you mean 15000, and the dude just looked at me. i said i could put 1500 miles on my bike in 2 weeks. i was then told to get a scooter because i ride my bike too much. :? this is all coming from 2 guys who dont even have a bike right now and i have put more miles on mine in 2 months then they have together. idiot squids...

anyways, please share your stories with me.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I was told by someone that he didnt like the sound of my bike and then went on about how he's getting an RC51 and whatnot... :roll:

...then proceeded to tell me that he thinks he'll be fine with a helmet and that a jacket is too much. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah then some more gibberish aboue considering a gsxr1000 and I tuned him out right about there. He had never ridden a motorcycle, not even a dirt bike, or a quad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is California, PA a bumf*ck redneck town? If so, you should get used to the comments, because the general rule is that ignorant people love to talk about subjects they're the most ignorant upon. If ignoring their stupid comments doesn't do any good, shoot him a little love:

·
Registered
13 Posts
evilbologna said:
I was told by someone that he didnt like the sound of my bike and then went on about how he's getting an RC51 and whatnot... :roll:

...then proceeded to tell me that he thinks he'll be fine with a helmet and that a jacket is too much. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah then some more gibberish aboue considering a gsxr1000 and I tuned him out right about there. He had never ridden a motorcycle, not even a dirt bike, or a quad.
I feel a cheap RC51 trackbike is in your future. GOD'S WILL BE DONE!

·
Registered
110 Posts
extensive said:
well a couple of my acquaintances found out i had an SV and the one guy called it a girls bike and told me to get a real one. they then went on to talk about pure race tires they bought for their bikes that they got a lot of miles out of them (1500) i was like o you mean 15000, and the dude just looked at me. i said i could put 1500 miles on my bike in 2 weeks. i was then told to get a scooter because i ride my bike too much. :? this is all coming from 2 guys who dont even have a bike right now and i have put more miles on mine in 2 months then they have together. idiot squids...

anyways, please share your stories with me.
Clearly clueless...

DOT race tires suck on the street. It's damn near impossible to get them up to temp, and when they aren't hot, you might as well be on ice. Worse, if their getting 1500 miles of street use out of 'em, even if they are getting them up to temp, the tires are losing grip from being subject to so many heat cycles. Sticky street compound tires like powers will offer you more grip in a street application 99.999% of the time.

Pure squids dude, either walk away or embarress them on twisties if your up to it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
extensive said:
well a couple of my acquaintances found out i had an SV and the one guy called it a girls bike and told me to get a real one.
there are 2 approaches to people like this. you can either put them in their place or ignore them.

putting someone like this in their place is possible usually only if there is an equal number of 'you' compared to the number of 'them' (obviously in this case that's not true). and it also takes practice on how to talk back arrogantly and confidently to someone like this and get them to feel like you have the upper hand as long as it's not one against >1. but it can be done and you can walk away with the upper hand. the funny thing is, once you've talked back to an idiot like this and put them in their place a time or two, then you realize it's not worth the energy and you start reverting to the 2nd approach of just ignoring them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only thing i said was, hey lets go to the twisties, oh but you dont have a bike. he looked at me and said whats twisties? ohhh turns and said he would kill me in them. then they went straight into the tire conversation. the other one continued to say that when he rode wheelies on those tires they were egg shaped so it bounced around. i was very confused at this remark. :?

i just laughed and drank some beers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
extensive said:
i was then told to get a scooter because i ride my bike too much. :? .
Too much? Anyone who could say that with a straight face probably isn't a biker.

I don't work or know any squids, but I did get a comment by a co-worker who is a 'Harley Chick". She asked me why I didn't ride anything big and 'murican. I just asked why she didn't ride to work. That seemed to end the conversation...

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's why I don't talk motorcycles with just anyone.

I know exactly what you mean, especially at my age. I'm 19 and i'd guess 90% of people my age are either ignorant or squids or both. Some could say its snobby or whatever, but if i hear any guys talkin about wheelies on their gixxer or how they should buy a huyabusa over a r1 because of its faster top speed i just walk by, its not even worth my time to educate them. And if anyone askes me what kind of bike i have i say either harley or ducati just so the answer is 'o ok' instead of me having to give an explanation. I've learned not to say SV as the next question is 'is that like a ducati/r6/harley/?'. real annoying. Another favorite is bein at the gas station and some old guy comin up and wants to tell me how he 'used to have a bike'. I'm about as intrested in that as i am about figure skating.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First time it happened to me was about a week ago.

Rode up to a stoplight, and a pedestrian crossing the street comes up and tells me that I should get a bigger bike since Im a big guy (6"3//200lbs -- I dont think thats all that "big", but whatever). I actually tried to break it down for him at the light, but he kept saying that he rides and that I should get at least a liter bike. :roll: The light turned green, and I didnt want to waste anymore time with him so I took off.

Actually, the reverse has happened to me more often. Usually just concerned friends or family (that Im riding at all), look at my bike and say "wow, thats a really powerful bike, isnt it? Are you sure you should be riding that??" :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
:sigh: The only explination for this is the mass retardation of our generation...

People like those who are talking about bikes, do just that, talk about bikes. Those of us who understand what riding is about, ride.

Next time somone tells you, "Hey, thats a chicks bike, get a real one" Respond that "chick" bikes dont win AMA or WERA races, period. (im pretty sure the sv has raced and won in both atleast once.. correct me if im wrong) Worked the last time a tool thought he knew what he was talking about..

"The real test of a mans prowess has nothing to do with his mouth and everything to do with his actions." -Unknown Author

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a few approaches:

1) point up to sky and say LOOK!, when he looks, kick him in the nads and then point and laugh

2)Grab him by the ears and bite off his nose.

3)poke him in the eye, kick him in the shin, and then when he is hopping on one foot with one eye closed yell out ahoy matey! (the non sexual one eyed pirate)

All of these don't really defend your bike of choice, but they are funny and that is what dumb people are here for is to be laughed at.

·
Registered
110 Posts
dtprb said:
I have a few approaches:

1) point up to sky and say LOOK!, when he looks, kick him in the nads and then point and laugh
I don't condone the nad kick, but there's nothing better than kicking down their kickstand and laughing while they try and figure out what's wrong... "what's wrong with you're 'guy' bike dude?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I've told this story here before, and yes, it was a squid move on my part, but what the hell, here goes :lol:

This happened a few summers ago when I was getting ready to go to a wheelie contest at the local drag strip.
I was putting gas in the SV down the street from my house when two guys on 600 & 750 ninja's pull into the station.
I took off my lid, tried to exchange greetings & ask if they're headed to the track? After ten seconds I can tell that neither is the friendly type :roll:
At that point I just went to get my change and didn't think much off being blown off untill I saw them pointing & laughing at the SV :idea: I see whats going on here.
I just couldn't help myself and quickly rode home and parked the SV.
I then added leather pants and boots to the jacket & gloves I was already wearing and got my 01 Hayabusa out of the garage.
I found the two ninja's on the highway and proceeded to do a 150 mph fly-by on them.
I slowed down and smoked them each time they caught up, then we pretty much rode to the track together.
The moment of truth. When we got to the entry gate to pay our way in, I took off my helmet, turned to them and said, " Wow, those bikes are fuckin slow" The looks on their faces were priceless :lol:
My adrenaline was so pumped from the racing that I saved myself the twenty dollar entry fee & skipped the show.
I just didn't have a desire to stand under the hot sun in black leather all day.

ps Sorry this wasn't an SV kill story, but there weren't any twisty roads for me to leave them behind on. Were talking about a place called Long Island after all :wink: :lol:

Other then that incident, I pretty much always got the " I hear those things make great track bikes line".

:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ignor them. Life is too short to waste talking to morons.

FWIW, the SV IS a great girls bike AND it is a great racebike as well that will smoke lots bigger bikes if ridden well. I have owned a 600, 750 and litre bike and the SV is my favourite out of all of them cause it is so easy and fun to ride.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Got called out one night on my zx10 by a guy with an r1 after we did a couple light to lights we stopped for a beer and proceeded to talk bikes. shortly there after ran into the same guy with a couple of his biker boyz. when they went lookin for my ninja and couldn't find it they asked what i was riding. told'em it was my copper/yellow sv sitting there. they kinda snickered but didn't say much. in fact got rude. so i invited them to ride with me and a friend(on a gen1 sv).we took'em up on some nice twisties(the ones with 25mph suggested speed) and would you believe we had to keep waiting on them. I hate squid additudes hence the ninja doesn't go out as often as the sv.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts