Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm getting ready to try once again to go from naked to "S" last time i had the whole thing mocked up, had my "S" Headlight harness in hand, then BAM realized that the harness didnt have any where to plug in. I had a soldering iron but no heat shrink tubing or solder to use so I was stuck

I tore it down and put my naked gear back on.

In the mean time i've been brushing up on my soldering and practicing with broken radios etc. etc. making good connections and such. Heat shrinking etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me thru this process, where exactly to "cut" into the harness at? Is a flat-head "slotted" screw driver style tip on the soldering iron ok to use, or should i go find a "pointed" standard style tip? And also ways to make it "stock-esque" without "jerry-rigging" the whole thing. I want to keep it professional. and also not compromise any of the wiring, weathering etc. etc. (Also will be keeping the "N" headlight harness on there as well, unless its not necessary to after putting the "S" on (IE: N headlight can be plugged into 1 of the 2 connectors on S harness) if necessary to convert back to stock before selling (which i prob will for any potential buyer)

Also let me state that I'm going to be converting to "S" fairing and headlight only
I'm KEEPING the "N" Triples, Bar, Front Brake Master Cylinder etc. Just the "Essential" "S" parts to make the get up work (has anyone went this route?)

Here is a link i've been reading AND re-reading AND re-reading AND re-reading: http://www.itrocks.com/motorcycles/sv650_conversion_harness.htm

Edit: Also does anyone know if rattle can "charcoal or gun-metal grey" is acceptable color for the 08 charcoal grey color? I prob. wont be going the expensive color-matched route as i dont even have proper paint gun setup anyways and just want the fairing ON the bike. Should I "sand" the fairing before painting? or just prime it and paint it. Should I use latex prime or non latex? etc. etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you want to make a really good weather proof connection (i.e. the headlight harness would count as it's somewhat exposed to the elements) I would actually put some hot glue on the exposed joint prior to heat shrinking. Then when you apply heat shrink onto the connection (while glue is still fluid or heat it enough to melt the hot glue) it will squeeze the glue out slightly and guarantee a 100% weather proof seal.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would personally save myself a huge headache and just buy a used wiring harness from an S and just swap them out.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
im currently in the process of switching from S to N. Be prepared for A LOT of speedbumps along the way. I have a whole bunch of parts you may be interested in. since im a Jr. member i cant post it here yet, but if you have a specific question i may be able to help. And if you car to look at the parts their here: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3304868578.html

Good luck on your journey

just realized you have a second gen...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the SVS dual headlight harness laying around somewhere. PM me if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
This is simple.
Google "Eastern Beaver" and go to his website.
He makes a relay headlight harness fir the S model. You only need one H4 plug to connect.
You connect his harness directly to your battery and run it up front.
Take your stock naked H4 plug off your naked bulb and plug it into his harness.
His harness will split this into two H4 plugs that you plug into your new S headlight's two bulbs.
That's it.
Also you will benefit from no longer having your headlight's juice running up through your low/high beam switch on your bars. Relays built into his harness handle the low/ high switching.
Your headlights will be brighter too as a result (less voltage drop than stock by far)

Simple and fairly cheap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To the OP.. I don't know if you've pulled the trigger on this mod yet, but I did that exact conversion (N to S on a 2008 N).. only mine was blue, not gray. I made a custom N to S harness with parts from Eastern Beaver. Like you, I didn't change out the triples or any of the handlebar stuff, just the headlight, cowl, fairing, fairing stay, etc.

I'm actually selling my SV and just finished taking all of the S bits off and returning it to N for sale. So I've got all of the parts that need a good home.. I'll be posting them up in the classifieds here but PM me if you're interested in any of it.

I gotta say the hardest part was the stupid wiring harness! That and those damn fairing retainers that bolt to the frame from the inside, those things were a b!tch to get to. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts