Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started commuting with my bike and sometimes traffic can be very slow.

Last week it was stop and go for 5 miles. My bike started getting hot. The temp got into the 210's and was only going up.

What do people do about this?

I've heard from a fellow biker that I should install a fan in front of my radiator. I've also heard that turning off the bike helps, but I feel that constant on and off isn't really good for the bike.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Your bike has a radiator fan installed that is thermostatically controlled to turn one when temperature reaches a specific point.
Turning off the bike only prevents the cooling system from working and doing its job to cool the bike. Sure, it'll cool down more if you're going to be stopped for a prolonged period of time but for just stop-and-go, you're better off leaving the bike running.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've started commuting with my bike and sometimes traffic can be very slow.

Last week it was stop and go for 5 miles. My bike started getting hot. The temp got into the 210's and was only going up.

What do people do about this?

I've heard from a fellow biker that I should install a fan in front of my radiator. I've also heard that turning off the bike helps, but I feel that constant on and off isn't really good for the bike.
210 will not hurt the bike. I don't believe the fan even kicks on until 205-212F. IMHO, you are panicking a bit early. IIRC, my 650 stabilized below about 222F, even on the hottest days. If you haven't checked coolant levels or condition, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do so, of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel a little better now. I touched 222 on Friday and that was enough to make me think about pulling off to the side for about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've done way too much stop and go. Its the most fun when the bikes hovering around 215, its 95 degrees outside, and you're sitting there in full gear (which happens to be black).

If it doesn't go above 230, you're fine. Check your coolant levels to be 100% sure though.

Try riding a Ducati or inline 4 sport bike, those things are like 10 times hotter. The SV handles the heat pretty well. I've seen temps around 185 doing highway pace in 90+ degree temps, which isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yeah, no worries until 220-ish, and your fan should kick on. If you don't remember the last time your cooling system was serviced, you should probably do it, as cheap insurance.

And no joke about the I-4s and the air cooled bikes... the Monster guys don't ride when its hot around here. (they're kinda fair weather riders anyways... hehe)

We had 2 weeks solid of 100+ weather. Black jacket and helmet and gloves and boots and sitting on a hot bike, with the heat radiating from the pavement... The vapor said it was 125, and I believe it! Ridiculous. But I'd rather be sweaty than bloody. Just take more showers, hehe...

Its been in the low 90s this week, so its a little better. But its also monsoon season, so the chance of getting rained on is always present (yes, it rains in the desert). I find myself racing the storm home after work. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Getting rained on SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yea your fan will cool it. My GSX-R 750 doesnt kick the fan on untul closer to 220. I would start to worry if yours got hotter than 230.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
yeah, no worries until 220-ish, and your fan should kick on. If you don't remember the last time your cooling system was serviced, you should probably do it, as cheap insurance.

And no joke about the I-4s and the air cooled bikes... the Monster guys don't ride when its hot around here. (they're kinda fair weather riders anyways... hehe)

We had 2 weeks solid of 100+ weather. Black jacket and helmet and gloves and boots and sitting on a hot bike, with the heat radiating from the pavement... The vapor said it was 125, and I believe it! Ridiculous. But I'd rather be sweaty than bloody. Just take more showers, hehe...

Its been in the low 90s this week, so its a little better. But its also monsoon season, so the chance of getting rained on is always present (yes, it rains in the desert). I find myself racing the storm home after work. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. Getting rained on SUCKS!!!
Here in CHicago if we get multiple 90 degree days, even though its a 30% chance of rain it always gets you.

After being sweaty all day in the heat though, I actually pray for rain on the ride home. No rain gear either, gives my helmet and jacket a good wash, feels like AC, and you don't have to shower either when you get home.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Even splitting lanes, which is legal here, it's not usual for my temps to easily hit 210 on a hot day. When I have to stop, like at stoplights, my temps easily reach 220-223 before the fan starts bring them down.

In fact, newer 2nd gens fans don't turn on until they hit 220. Earlier 2nd gens I believe is 210.

The red warning light will turn on at 250ish I think? I could be 245, not sure actually, but it's up there somewhere. If you temps go beyond the normal range of 220ish, then you can have a fan problem, and may need to pull over to check if you fans is broken or disconnected.

So 210 is nothing, 220 is nothing, in fact is normal for a bike not moving.

Heck, I think my Jeep Grand Cherokee's normal running temp is something like 210.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is yet another reason why I like my SV1000 better than I liked my ducati 750ss. The 750 got way too hot to ride in stop and go traffic, it was flat out brutal. The SV1000 will tickle its way up to 220 on occasion if its real hot, but always drops right back down once I'm moving.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As noted above many cars operate around 210-220. I know the stock thermostat in my '89 mustang is a 220, and I put in a 190 for performance. You are fine if the fan is working and coolant is in good condition.

·
Registered
731 Posts
filter through traffic, you shouldn't even be sitting still anyways

but as they said, the joy of a reliable modern water cooled bike is that you'll be fine even stopped

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've lived in many places, I just don't think the mentality would be safe for lane splitting in many places.

California has had lane splitting for many years, people are use to it, they even see the advantages for them while sitting in their cages, but in other places, it won't work out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts