Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
How do you folks organize all the loose parts? Right now I’m sticking everything into ziplocks and labelling them. All the ziplocks go into a project box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
That's exactly what I did. And I kept the ziplocks in the order in which they came out. Also, take lots of pics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey folks, hope the new year is treating you well.

Tore into my carbs. I don't think carb cleaner is gonna be sufficient here. I've got some really persistent green gunk in there. The shop manual suggests soaking in gasoline, which I'm gonna try. Any other suggestions?

Product Material property Font Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
After the visible grunge is off hit every port/hole with blasts of carb cleaner until it comes out the other side. You might have to open the throttle to get the flow. This is where I made my mistake the first time. I did not blast enough. The carb cleaner must come out the other side for each port.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I submerged the carb in acetone; that helped a bit, but not a lot. I ended up boiling everything in a solution of 50% lemon juice and 50% water, followed by only water juice. Whatever the gunk was it sure did a number of the brass finish:

Blue Wood Bullet Ammunition Gun accessory

I can squirt carb cleaner through now. I just have to confirm that the carb body itself is good to go now. I keep re-reading zip tech's how to and wishing for the pictures. What a shame that Photobucket screwed everyone over 🤦‍♂️ .

There's one step that's not clear to me -- drilling the EPA plug or the pilot fuel screw. Is this strictly necessary if all I want to is clean passage for the fuel?

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
Yes, if the rest of the carb was that gunked up, the pilot will be clogged. Very gently drill a small hole in the plug, and use a small sheet metal screw to grab it and gigger it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ahh ok. It looks like someone has already drilled the plug out. Simple removal.

This is where I am at now. One thing that's not clear to me is if I have to replace the coast valve diaphragm. It did not not come as part of the rebuild kit.

Motor vehicle Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Font

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
By,"Coast Valve" I assume you mean the Air-Cut-Off-Valve. If so they are a separate part/kit ( One per Carb) but check the diaphragm of the present one with a strong light and look for perforations. They are a simple system of a spring and diaphragm and if the motorcycle is no left fallow will last as long as mine e.g over 20 years! :O

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Any tips for getting the fuel valve seat back in there? It refuses to go in and I don't think applying force is the answer. It's sticking out and I can't get the retaining screw in.

Light Auto part Machine Automotive super charger part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
IIRC there is a small filter in there so you may be doubling up?

Bookmark a Parts Fiche when doing these jobs as it helps track-down reconstruction.

I think part 26 on here,

Super Tip: To Zoom when on web pages: If you have a ,"Scroll Mouse" press and hold the Ctrl Key on the keyboard and move the mouse wheel :D

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hey gents, reassembled the carbs today; they are finally in one piece. Before I put everything back together and try to fire it up I need to figure out how to clean the gas tank. Looking through the opening I don't see any rust but I certainly see the green tinge that was on the jets/fuel bowl. What's the best way to try and clean that out? I'm thinking maybe acetone + water overnight, run a hose through, then fill it up with rust removal solution and then run the hose again.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
814 Posts
I'd run to the hardware store and pick up some phosphoric acid to clean it. According to member bmetz it cleans the rust and leaves a protective coating. To do it right you should line it with Por15. Never add nails, screws, BBs, or other things to it to knock stuff out. You'll never get them all out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I'd run to the hardware store and pick up some phosphoric acid to clean it. According to member bmetz it cleans the rust and leaves a protective coating. To do it right you should line it with Por15. Never add nails, screws, BBs, or other things to it to knock stuff out. You'll never get them all out.
Are you saying that I should only worry about the rust and none of the other contaminants in the tank?

For rust, I've acquired Evaporust: Best Rust Remover | Remove Rust Quickly with Evapo-Rust®. It seems like it gets rid of the rust without impacting anything else.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts