Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my sv650 today, and I absolutely love it. First bike, first time riding, and yeah I'm in heaven. Wish I didn't wait so long to start riding >.<
Anywhooo... There's a few issues with my bike, but I don't think it's anything I can't handle (The previous owner [PO] even threw in the service manual)
Current know issues:

1) Headlights are always on, and I have no highbeams, or I only have highbeams, but basically my switch is pointless and my lights come on with the key. Cool thing tho, PO replaced the giant headlight with some dirtbike piece that has a vert stacked pair with matching paint which rocks cuz I was gonna replace the single with a stacked pair anyway)

2) Speedo/Tach/Odo Meters are all inop (also unable to verify actually milage because of this, but PO estimates it at 5600-5800ish): Need to be replaced. OEM or other compatible gauges will suffice.

3) Radiator took a hit at somepoint, and is bent down some on the left side, but still works like normal. Not sure if I want to make this a major issue, as since it works, it's not a priority anyway.

4) Not sure if I need them to be street legal (FL resident now, but if anyone knows if I do/don't I'd appreciate some clarification), but I need to get some form of blinkers up front, probably gonna do something slick and homegrown with some LEDs and such.

Thats all i got for now, pics will come tomorrow/this weekend, and well... wish me luck ;D

[edit for forgetfulness] - Just to clarify, it's a nekkid 03 with a Yosh exhaust, don't know if its just a slip on or what, but it sounds niiiiiice, also the handlebars are moved up and in some, and uhhhh i heard something about most bikes having factory springs set for 150lb riders and seeing as I haven't been 150 since i was about 14ish... Anyone know if it's a major difference/giant pain in the butt to replace them with something stiffer? Thanks in advance for any and all help =)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lights are suppose to come on when you turn the key. This is the law for any new motorcycle. Your switch needs help though.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Any time your key is on the headlights will be on as there is no off switch for them, Dirtbike headlight probably does'nt have High/Low beams 95% chance because almost none are DOT approved...if you know someone who does inspections and they are bright enough for you it should be good enough unless it bothers you.

Guages? The Vapor is a nice kit for the SV that you can get for around $140 that comes with all of the hardware and instructions just for the SV "the only one specific to our bikes available" , it's smaller than stock and really clean looking...never priced stock guages but I doubt their anywhere close to $140.

Radiator? If you price one you won't worry about getting a new one untill you absolutely have to! I'd reccomend a radiator guard to hide the damage some lol.

I'm pretty sure your going to need blinkers, Legally and just so you don't get run over....Led blinkers are cheap as dirt so theres really no reason not to imho.

Hope some of that helps, grats on getting your first bike!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I just recently bough my bike too and was dropped as well, and the radiator is bend a little bit on the right side...I'm not gonna change it unless I really have to (you should do the same if is working fine) although I did notice I'm leaking coolant from the cap...(Which I ordered and should be getting soon)....Just check your coolant level after every ride see how's doing, also check the temperature of your bike when riding it... but no need to replace if is doing fine.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So the PO dropped the bike in the past?

If the radiator doesn't leak or overheat then I wouldn't worry about it. You van find the gauges on here occassionally.

·
Registered
984 Posts
why are the gauges inoperable on such a new bike? If he was in there messing around swapping out the lights, it might be as simple as he didn't plug them back in or did it incorrectly....

Okay, new bike might be wrong. You say it's an '03 with only 5800 miles on it, maybe. I find that hard to believe, I put 6K miles on my bike last summer, doesn't take long....but, maybe if you live up north and the bike wasn't ridden much....I dunno. I'm just saying, probably worth your time to take a look at the gauge wiring....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clearing up the headlight issue, didn't realize they were supposed to come on with the key, but the high/low thing isn't so much a bother as I want rewire the lights so that one is High and the other is Low instead of just 2 lights that are always on. As for the gauges not working, I'll check the wiring, but he even said it's busted, so I'll also look at that Vapor kit (Thanks Red). I think the low milage for the bike is part him having three others bikes, a truck, three jet skis and partly because (i'm assuming here) that he works full time as well. Must be nice to have all those fun toys and live on a lake.
Mania - I don't know if he dropped it, (there's little if any damage to the side that's got the lowered radiator) or if gremlins came and lowered it, it's anyone's guess, but from what little i've seen from looking so far I've learned that if the radiator ain't leakin, and keeps the engine cool, don't mess with it.

Blinkers are #1 on my todo list now. I'm fairly good with electronics, and am thinking of wiring up some LEDs myself, does anyone know of anyplace that sells/makes/salvages a descent housing unit for say... 3-7 LEDs? I'm thinking of going with two offset rows or maybe 3 rows in some form of diamond fashion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my clustered cluster from underneath

Notice the silicone caulk and zip ties used to 'seal' the back of the gauges? Yeah it's not doin so well and I think the wiring is screwed. I took the light and gauges off over the weekend, busted out Mr Handy Dandy Service manual and got lost in a maze of schematics, wiring diagrams and parts lists. I'm thinking salvage yard tomorrow to hopefully find a working replacement. I'm too scared to go on the highway w/o at least a speedo/tripo for fear of gettin screwed by Johnny Law (Not for speeding, but the opposite, I usually drive/ride at the speed limit or slightly under, the pleasure is the journey not the destination)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Holy cow that bar is up there!

All you have to do to make on of the light switchable with the high beam switch is connect the power wire for the light to the yellow wire in the wiring harness.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny thing tho, my speedo,tach and trips don't work, but my fuel light comes on, my turn indicators light up when I have my signals on (hazards too) I get error codes and my clock still works (but it's the wrong time and I don't wanna bother setting it) so I'm wondering if it could just be a bad wiring job. Anyone know if I can test the wiring myself? I got a multimeter ready to go, I just don't know what all I'm testing for/where the wires run to exactly. Also.... I'm gonna feel like a noob here but w/e... How in the blue blazes does the seat come off?? I can take the rear off with the key no prob, but the front one seems to be locked down tighter than a sober prom date. - Thanks in advance for any/all help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy cow that bar is up there!

All you have to do to make on of the light switchable with the high beam switch is connect the power wire for the light to the yellow wire in the wiring harness.
Yeah the PO was all of 5'6" maybe 5'8" i'm probably going to take the bar riser off sooner or later.
I don't think either light in there is a high beam, as they both come on with the key, and combined they're barely enough for night riding.
I've come to the realization that the bike was on the losing side with a slow speed crash with something that doesn't move (ie wall) because of the gauges, radiator damage 'swapped out' headlights and some other minor scratches. Nothing too rough though, I just want to improve on her some

·
Registered
364 Posts
there is no inspection needed in FL. Get some blinkers for the sake a vis though. Ride ur ass down to fort lauderdale I need someone to ride with!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
hmmmm, black frame on an '03. Either the PO took the entire bike apart to paint it, or that frame is not from an '03. Either way, something seems fishy. Like perhaps the bike was in some kind of big accident the required the bike being stripped down the frame a or even a frame swap. If you didn't know the owner personally before you bought the bike, then I wouldn't believe a word he said without a huge grain of salt.

If he said the mileage was at 5600, then assume at least double that... at least.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is no inspection needed in FL. Get some blinkers for the sake a vis though. Ride ur ass down to fort lauderdale I need someone to ride with!
If I can get some blinkers wired up this week I was planning on hitting either Tampa or Cocoa this weekend, (I'm in Winter Park) but Ft Lauderdale works just the same. Although I was planning on waiting to hit Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami in April for Spring Break (I love being 26 and in college again, not still) We'll see, blinkers are first up though

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmm, black frame on an '03. Either the PO took the entire bike apart to paint it, or that frame is not from an '03. Either way, something seems fishy. Like perhaps the bike was in some kind of big accident the required a the bike being stripped down the frame a or even a frame swap. If you didn't know the owner personally before you bought the bike, then I wouldn't believe a word he said without a huge grain of salt.

If he said the mileage was at 5600, then assume at least double that... at least.
*begins to sweat*
Yeaaah Im gonna suck it up and take it to the local dealership to have them give her a thorough check up and fluids swap just to be on the safe side. Now if only I could find another 4 hours to cram into tomorrow I'd be good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The list of needs has been growing steadily since this past weekend.
In no particular order:

1) Gauges
2) Blinkers
3) Factory inspection/fluid swap/possible tune up
4) Cargo management system (backpack works for the daily commute to and from classes but I'm thinking tail bag or maybe tank bag)
5) Frame sliders
6) Headlights (with working Hi/Lows w/o that silly plastic housing, needs to look more nekkid)
7) Other things I'm forgetting right now...

Now if only the wallet would grow that fast...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
*begins to sweat*
Yeaaah Im gonna suck it up and take it to the local dealership to have them give her a thorough check up and fluids swap just to be on the safe side. Now if only I could find another 4 hours to cram into tomorrow I'd be good.
Don't panic yet. The bike may be just fine. However, I would take this as an indication that the PO may not have been completely honest with the history of the bike and therefore you must not take anything for granted and you must find out the true condition of the bike on your own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe you're right, and that's why I'm going to take her to the dealership tomorrow and see if they can give me some more insight. I'd love to be able to do it myself but 1) I live in an apartment and 2) I would probably do more harm than good trying to service and inspect the bike myself.
I'll post up what the dealer has to say when I find out. Hopefully it's nothing too horrible. *crosses fingers*

1 - 20 of 31 Posts