Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a picture of my current settings after I installed the GSXR front. It lowered my front about 3cm and I was wondering if these measurements look right? I was worried how this drop will impact the hanldling. I did how ever put a 70 up front to help offset a little.

I’m no suspension guy but I have done a lot of reading and think I have hit all the high points.

Any GooRoos out there that can give me their opinion and basic front setup for the GSXR front for track and racing. I need a good starting point for adjustment.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Different people like different settings. Ride it and see how it feels to you. Too twitchy/too fast on turn in? Not stable enough in straight line? Lower the rear relative to the front or raise the front relative to the rear. Too slow on turn in, plenty stable in straight line? Lower the front or raise the rear.

There is no one setting that will please everyone. 30cm is a pretty healthy drop on the front end.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy for the review of the basics and will be putting the bike on the track this weekend to start start tuning. I know a lot of guys have done the GSXR swap and was just hoping someone could tell me if these intial settings are close to norm.

Oh its 3 cm / 30mm drop not 30cm.. :) I think the oil filter might be dragging if i did that.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Thanks Andy for the review of the basics and will be putting the bike on the track this weekend to start start tuning. I know a lot of guys have done the GSXR swap and was just hoping someone could tell me if these intial settings are close to norm.

Oh its 3 cm / 30mm drop not 30cm.. :) I think the oil filter might be dragging if i did that.
30mm is still a very large drop. I typically use 10-15mm.

It's hard to tell much from your numbers, they're not the one's most guys measure. Lots of opportunity to mess those up.

What's your rear shock length, eye center to eye center?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's hard to say definitely, but the numbers are leaning towards "twitchy". What are your front and rear total sag numbers? That will affect the ride geometry.

With that front end, front end drop, and rear shock length I would expect the static trail to be closer to 90mm than 80mm.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm Yep ,which is why I posted this thread to discuss it. I dont know alot but I know how to ask. :)

Strange as it might sound I have talked to some SV race team guys who tell me that they normally drop the front 15mm with stock forks and run the GSXR forks flush as I have them. I guess in the end its going to come down to me on the track but its better to be safe than off the track.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Geometry Update

Update.

To start, my trail is not 80mm it 88mm. I was Looking in my notes and I had 88mm. Where did I get 80mm from? I have no idea.

second

I found a superbike rake and trail calculator online and with my data it comes out to 88mm of trail. Right-on my measurements. I will have to verify the diameter of the tires but based on what I have 88 is much better than 80.

http://www.papkegroup.com/superbikee...nematics1.html

·
Registered
744 Posts
Those numbers look right for a GSXR front end. The bike is going to turn in faster than your stock SV did. You'll probably like it a lot.

However, while the stock SV generally doesn't need a steering damper, a SV with a GSXR front end does. I learned this the hard way after the bike went into a tank slapper going over rough pavement at speed. The cheapest way to get it done is buying a used GSXR damper, replacing the oil in it with 20 weight fork oil, then using head tube mounting bracket available at http://www.dougzcustoms.com/ to mount it below your headlight.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Zoltan,

I was out at NJMP Thunderbolt and it turned in great. It was raining most the weekend and I was a little distracted trying to get a sence of the steeings. So I senterd everything and will start working on what works for me this month at my next track day.

I have a Scotts damper already and put it on the new front. I had no issues with head shake on the straights or driving out but again I was in the wet most of the weekend and did not want to drop it the first weekend of the riding season. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts