Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolled into local gas station last week after 200 mile ride and 01 SV650 wouldn’t re-start. Dead battery, would barely make stater motor go uuugh. Got a friend to help me load it on a trailer and on home. Turned out the battery was okay after re-charging. Charging system wasn’t working. Did various test as per manual. My el cheapo volt meter doesn’t seem to be able to read Ohms in the 0.2-0.55 range. Just reads Zero for continuity. Five-six years ago I replaced (working OEM) RR with an ebay 7 wire Hayabusa RR. I taped off two of the battery connects and soldered the other two onto the connector. It now occurs to me that this may have created a weak current feed to the battery thus stressing the generator. Not sure, but I think it might be better to connect each of the two like wires to #10 copper wires and run straight to battery. Anyway, RR seems to be okay. Generator output not okay: poles 1-2 at idle 9.6 ac amps, 2-3 idle 20.2 amps, 1-3 18.6 amps: and 1-2 @5k rpms 9.6 ac amps, 2-3 @5k rpms 71 ac amps, 1-3 @5k rpms 71 ac amps (connector looks like this -- || called – as #1 pole, shouldn’t matter). Removed stator, shows some burn, overheating on coil(s) near pickup coil. Pic also shows spot where very thin covering material is worn, scraped off pickup coil pole – don’t think this is a problem.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/ken650/01 SV Stator/?action=view&current=01stator006.jpg

So, anyone have experience with after market stators. I’ve found Rick’s on ebay, Accel 152483 on Amazon, and Regulator/Rectifier.com. All are about the same price $130. Am also thinking I should replace the RR (to regulate/rectify doubts about it). Probably should spring for a new FH008
MOSFET type. Any advice, recommendations, comments most welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got an Eastern Beaver RR kit to hook up a MOSFET RR as a preventative measure and to provide more juice since I want to run electrical accessories. The kit is very high quality, unfortunately the FH008 is not a direct fit to a 2005 SV650s. I fabbed up a bracket but it needs a little more work to fit properly so I reinstalled the stock RR. The problem is the FH008 mounting holes are closer together than the stock RR.

So if you can deal with making a bracket and adding the new connectors, the Eastern Beaver kit and an FH008 is a great choice. I got my RR from ebay for $100 shipped, it was in good shape. The seller was aceoverseas. Let me know if you have any questions, good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a new stator from Ricks, new gasket, and won an ebay 07-10 CBR600 RR couple days ago. I've seen references to Easter Beaver in archived posts and browsed their site; will take a look at the Eastern Beaver kit. I'm not so concerned with beefing up charging as much as just doing a good fix; however, I do use an electric vest in winter. First thing I did dealing with problem was put in larger battery which I had on hand (like is in 2nd gen model); I wrapped the fuse and blinker modules in bubble rap to secure and keep them from bouncing around. Although nothing is wrong with the battery that was in the bike, I think I'll go with the larger one. I have gas and arc welders, so making a new bracket for the CRB RR shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the reply and good luck with your project -- ken

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey doogster, thanks for your comments. I've read two or three of D'Eccose's posts, picked up lots of good info, unfortunately the vid referred to is no longer up. Today, I received an ebay 07 CBR600 FH008 RR; still waiting for Ricks stator and gasket from Roy Ayers. With the RR in hand I think I'll order the Connectors kit for direct hookup to battery from Eastern Beaver. Also, I can go ahead with fabing a mount for the CBR RR. Fortunately, I have a second SV, an 07SV; so I have the luxury of taking my time getting the 01 going again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yep no problem, glad I could help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts