Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming that Ohlins would market the kit for more years but I have to ask on hope alone....Did they actually change the ancient damping rods for the gen 3's or is there any chance these would fit or maybe some light modification to get them to?

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
inner tubes are different part numbers so i'd assume either a length or threading difference. there are other cart dropin kits (ak20) as well as machined kits (twf racing) that can work.
are you racing or just looking for a better ride? cause traxxion ar25 or just racetech goldvalves with springs may do enough unless you're chasing lap records...

·
Registered
69 Posts
The damping rods are the same. The inner tubes on the gen 3 are longer than the gen 2.
I've read somewhere that the Ohlins kits will work in the gen2, but I've never tried it. I will say that the rods in the carts are very long. The caps will pull completely away from the spring without any spring compressor tool on a gen3 fork. So that may or may not result in a decrease in travel when dropped in a gen2 fork.
If this is for a street bike, plan to have them re-valved as the stack is very stiff in high speed compression.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some reason I didn’t get the notifications on this so thanks for the responses! I wouldn't want to chance the reduction in travel as I'm about 215 in gear and live in Erie PA so the roads are garbage. I ride smart but aggressive street...basically I ride to and through every decent twisty section I can find round here lol. Just started buying up the gear for track days so it’s going to go there....trying to make up my mind on putting money into the suspension on this or getting a different bike :/. Should honestly keep the SV for track days but suspension definitely needs dealt with one way or another lol.

I would love to opt for the AK-20's but thats a steep investment...the AK-25's were considered but I've heard stuff about headshakes which pushed me more toward the Italian EBay cartridges considering they're about 100 bucks more and have the benefit of adjustability from the caps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the Ohlins kit for the 3rd gen SV put in my 2nd gen forks for my race bike. This added 10mm to the tube length but they work great! I had Ktech's kit previously for my other 2nd gen but the Ohlins kit was much cheaper and like I said it works really well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts