Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a '03 engine in my '02 SV650. It was a pretty straight forward swap but I thought I'd offer my own lessons learned for anyone that might be thinking about the same thing.

Definitely have to change the flywheel/stator and ignition trigger switches but the gen1 parts will fit in the gen2 cover if you want to keep the silver look for the engine.

Have to use the gen1 exhaust stub on the rear cylinder. My gen2 engine came with the stub attached and I did not swap it before I installed the engine. Subsequently, I could not get the exhaust to mount. They are bent slightly differntly and the gen2 stub causes interference with the swing arm. Had to swap the stub with the engine in the frame and I can promise that it would have been much easier before I installed the engine. ;D

Have to use the gen1 valve covers as well. I tapped the PAIR holes in the heads with a 8 x 1.0 tap and installed a bolt with locktight to seal up the holes before I put the gen1 valve covers back on. You could probably leave the gen2 rear valve cover on and plug the hose but the front cover will interfere with the radiator/fan if you don't change it out.

Make sure your gen2 engine comes with the oil cooler or you will have to find one of those as well.....like I did. I thought the oil cooler didn't come out until '04 so I did not confirm that the oil cooler was included before I bought the engine.

Have to use the carb boots from the gen1 of course.

The sprocket cover from the gen2 will not fit on the gen1 frame so I did have to use the gen1 cover here.

Have to use the thermostat housing from the gen1 to get the right temp sensor. I don't know of the gen1 sensor will fit in the gen2 housing but the connector is definitely different. I had both so I just swapped out the entire housing.

That was pretty much it. Swaping the flywheel/stator and tapping the PAIR holes were the biggest parts of the conversion. The rest is all external and bolt on stuff.

I have a box of left over parts if anyone needs gen1 engine parts, let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
pics? sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So the purpose for this conversion?? Dont get me wrong, I give you kudos for being brave enough to try that, but i thought the reason most people wanted the gen 2 engines was becasue they were fuel injected. any insight on this??
Once again awesome job and very informative, atleast now it makes a lot more engines avialble in case the 1st gen enigne dies!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You already guessed the why part. I had a blown Gen1 engine and could not find a suitable Gen1 replacement. There are a lot more Gen2 engines out there. I've heard of owners including the FI in the conversion but it involves so much more like instrument cluster, wiring harnesses, etc that it was not worth it for me. I just wanted to get my bike back on the road as cheaply and quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Sounds like a good solution vs. rebuilding an engine. Doesn't the 2nd gen motor spin up a little faster than the 1st gen? That's what some of the track guys say and obviously it has a little more power because of the cams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard good and bad. The Gen2 engine is supposed to have lighter internals and does make a little more power but the Gen1 crank is supposed to be stronger. Those details are probably important for the racers but for me I'm just happy to be back on the road ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.