Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

eBay strike out. This was supposed to be a gen1 rear, but it's too small.

I've heard that a slightly smaller rotor is OK. An AFM racer on a different forum said he did a GSXR swap or something and the rotor he was using was like 5mm smaller in diameter, so 2.5mm smaller around. But is this waaay too small to be safe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like 240mm. Just measured the one I recently pulled off. I don't think I like the idea of running too small of a rotor, but I have no facts or anecdotes to back up why. Just seems like you could get an imbalance of pressure from the pad face to the rotor. Also seems like it may make it more difficult to slide correctly if pad wear is uneven. Hopefully somebody else has a better answer.

While you're down there, there's something else you may want to check out... Did you know that rear caliper bolts could stretch? I sure as hell didn't. Surprised me when I snapped the thing with a torque wrench on Saturday. I'm guessing it had something to do with the rear pads being worn way beyond where they should have been. I'd thought it was just the wrong bolt until I did some googling and found out it's a thing that can happen. Though I don't believe it's terribly common.

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
what is this part and why do we care in the slightest about it? :p

but really chineseum is fine for the rear rotor. or a decent used. i might have a dozen of used ones somewhere if you want one

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is this part and why do we care in the slightest about it? :p

but really chineseum is fine for the rear rotor. or a decent used. i might have a dozen of used ones somewhere if you want one
aw crap, why did i go to eBay & forget about your site?

actually, well, just looked on your site & didn't see any rotors, just rear wheels. if you have a rear rotor that is in decent looking shape, let me know how much you want for it (shipped to CA - 94611).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so here's the werid thing, the brake disc you have a picture of below is the same as the one i ordered off of eBay. but my bike is a stock 2000 model, but, for some reason my brake disk is bigger (250mm?). the hole pattern (not the bolt holes, but the holes in the disc part) is different.

when i search eBay for other discs to order, most of them look like the one below. so, i'd just be ordering another one that doesn't fit.

WTF? why does my 2000 gen1 have a bigger rotor?

Looks like 240mm. Just measured the one I recently pulled off. I don't think I like the idea of running too small of a rotor, but I have no facts or anecdotes to back up why. Just seems like you could get an imbalance of pressure from the pad face to the rotor. Also seems like it may make it more difficult to slide correctly if pad wear is uneven. Hopefully somebody else has a better answer.

View attachment 57067

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
240mm is correct. UNLESS someone shoved a different bracket/caliper/whatever on it

aw crap, why did i go to eBay & forget about your site?

actually, well, just looked on your site & didn't see any rotors, just rear wheels. if you have a rear rotor that is in decent looking shape, let me know how much you want for it (shipped to CA - 94611).
i definitely have them (probably not listed) but they'd be 240 (or 220 2g ones) not 250 or whatever you're looking at on your bike originally

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
wait i just saw something your pads arent in the right spot by the looks of it. like they're riding further out somehow.
should be kinda centered on the piston but looks like it's a bit down from it?
are you missing a spring/retainer?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took this pic after i put the brakes back together (with new pads), but before i "primed" the brakes by pumping the pedal. so the pistons are retracted all the way. those questionably useful plates and the spring clips and the pins are all installed though.

wait i just saw something your pads arent in the right spot by the looks of it. like they're riding further out somehow.
should be kinda centered on the piston but looks like it's a bit down from it?
are you missing a spring/retainer?

View attachment 57092
yeah, i've had a gen1 SV before and these look like stock brakes. no idea why anyone would choose a bigger disc. if they did, and why the eff would someone do that, maybe they put a different bracket on? i guess i'll look at a parts fiche & see if it looks the same?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, so here's the werid thing, the brake disc you have a picture of below is the same as the one i ordered off of eBay. but my bike is a stock 2000 model, but, for some reason my brake disk is bigger (250mm?). the hole pattern (not the bolt holes, but the holes in the disc part) is different.

when i search eBay for other discs to order, most of them look like the one below. so, i'd just be ordering another one that doesn't fit.

WTF? why does my 2000 gen1 have a bigger rotor?
The correct rotor size should be 240mm. I'm thinking you should probably post some pictures of your caliper and mount as well because it sounds like it is designed to fit a nonstandard 250mm rotor. If that's the case, I'd be tempted just to find a 250mm rotor that fit.

This is what my '01 looks like with an aforementioned Chinesium rotor I picked up for $50. Not recommending it, just stating a fact. Does your caliper and mount look the same?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Surface area does not matter. The coefficent of friction formula does not have arae in it. So you will be totally fine, as long as the pads do not come in contact after wearing down

1 - 14 of 14 Posts