Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for an aftermarket shock for my Gen 3. The Gen 2 will fit, so anything yo have let me know! Seen a couple for sale here.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My recommendation for aftermarket shocks that aren't over the top in price are the Nitron R1, R2 and R3. I have an R3 and in my gen 3 and while it made a noticeable difference, it was the front suspension upgrade that really changed how the bike felt, when I took my bike for a proper spin on my local roads where I knew how quick I could take each corner etc, I would look down at the speedo and doing 6-12mph faster than I usually would, simply because I had more confidence in the bike which was hugely due to the front wheel not bouncing around all over the road in corners and actually staying glued to the road in every instance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The aftermarket shock I put on my gen 3 is 317mm, the stock one was just a bit shorter. The stock Gen 2 shock is 330mm (so says wikipedia). My guess would be that the gen 2 shock is too tall for the gen 3.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gen 3 ideal geometry is 338-340mm. It fits. Theres one on Parrish's motoamerica bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure why anyone is considering a gen2 shock - why would it be any better than the gen3?? The problem is no rebound or compression damping and the shock is too weak fo guys over 90kg. I agree with Devils as I fitted Nitron R3 with Andreani cartridges at front which made a great improvement

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not sure why anyone is considering a gen2 shock - why would it be any better than the gen3?? The problem is no rebound or compression damping and the shock is too weak fo guys over 90kg. I agree with Devils as I fitted Nitron R3 with Andreani cartridges at front which made a great improvement
DIdn't realise you were also in NZ or I had forgotten. When did you put the R3 and cartridges in? did you do it yourself or get a shop to do it? if a shop, how much did it all cost you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm afraid that information is inaccurate to say the least.
You can check by yourself: look for specs/blueprints of aftermarket shocks specifically made for Gen3 SV, and you'll see that they all feature 315mm eye-to-eye lenght, as I reported in the other discussion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can check by yourself: look for specs/blueprints of aftermarket shocks specifically made for Gen3 SV, and you'll see that they all feature 315mm eye-to-eye lenght, as I reported in the other discussion.
Ok cheers, will stop thrashing a dead horse lol.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
We've been racing the 3rd gen SV in MotoAmerica for 2 years. We know what works and what doesnt. Yes the 3rd gen shock is shorter than 2nd gen, but it will handle like a bus with that flat swingarm angle and excessive trail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We've been racing the 3rd gen SV in MotoAmerica for 2 years. We know what works and what doesnt. Yes the 3rd gen shock is shorter than 2nd gen, but it will handle like a bus with that flat swingarm angle and excessive trail.
Could you please clarify? Are you saying you prefer a longer, 2nd gen length shock (330mm I think) for the 3rd gen? If so, does it fit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts