Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I've just purchased a Gen 3 that I'm going to turn into a race bike. I havent received the bike yet but I'm trying to find out what the unloaded length of the rear shock is as there is a guy selling a good K-Tech DDS shock for a Gen 2 model that I would be keen to buy if it will fit.
The measurement has to be taken with bike pulled over on the side stand or such like so that the shock is fully unloaded. If someone could oblige that would be great.
A member on the race forum thought it was 315mm but I just need to confirm 100%. The width of the top mount and internal measurement of the bottom clevis would be handy too but not essential. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi.
Gen 2 stock shocks do not fit gen3 bikes. Guess how I know ;-) Avoid the "this part happens to cram into here and I haven't died yet" bullshit.

If I were building a race bike, (or any 3rd gen for that matter) I would not go the budget "lets see what happens to fit" route. Go ahead and invest in a properly sprung for your weight shock. That means that at the very minimum, , they build it for your weight. If you don't , you will always be wondering if thats the reason you are floating, or if thats the reason your rear tire is wearing strange. You will always be guessing.

Seriously. Just buy a proper 2 clicker, sprung for your weight, and get it adjusted. It's all anyone needs until they go hardcore track.

For the record, I went with the K-tech. I'm happy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi.
Gen 2 stock shocks do not fit gen3 bikes. Guess how I know ;-) Avoid the "this part happens to cram into here and I haven't died yet" bullshit.

If I were building a race bike, (or any 3rd gen for that matter) I would not go the budget "lets see what happens to fit" route. Go ahead and invest in a properly sprung for your weight shock. That means that at the very minimum, , they build it for your weight. If you don't , you will always be wondering if thats the reason you are floating, or if thats the reason your rear tire is wearing strange. You will always be guessing.

Seriously. Just buy a proper 2 clicker, sprung for your weight, and get it adjusted. It's all anyone needs until they go hardcore track.

For the record, I went with the K-tech. I'm happy.
Thanks for your reply. I would actually like to know what the issue was/is that prevents the Gen 2 shock fitting and some measurements if you have them perhaps. The Ohlins shock in my Gen 2 bike is set to 340mm eye to eye and there is a certain amount of length adjustment on the lower clevis so just wondering if that adjustment range would be enough to suit a Gen 3 set up or not.
I'm definitely not looking to go the budget, "lets see what happens to fit" route. The shock I'm looking to fit is a K-tech DDS which is top of their line as you possibly know. It just happens to be second hand and has come out of a Gen 2 bike, hence my question. But yeah it's a good chance to save some coin over a brand new option. The spring fitted to it currently is of the same rate (9.0kg/mm - I'm a lightweight.) as what I'm running on my Ohlins. I've been racing five years, the last two of them at National level so I know a bit more than just the basics but my knowledge is limited to Gen 2's. I also work in an engineering workshop so have access to a lathe for making up spacers etc. Cheers.
'

·
Registered
123 Posts
If memory serves me well, the problem is that a Gen2 shock has a 335mm eye-to-eye length, while a Gen3 one has 315.
An adjustable length shock will normally have 10mm adjustment travel, therefore not enough.
A Gladius shock (or one designed for that bike) will fit a Gen3 SV, since the OEM shocks for those bikes feature the same Suzuki part number.
This is what I found out when I had to replace my Gen3 OEM shock; I went with a YSS Z-series that is adjustable for preload, rebound and eye-to-eye length and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Since I haven't tried to swap shocks between Gen2 and Gen3 bikes, nor do I have knowledge of the (different?) kind of links the shock connects to, I can't tell if a Gen2 shock on a Gen3 bike will only end up raising the rear of the bike or will not fit at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your memory serves us well (;)) then it looks like we have a 10mm surplus of shock length that I wont be able to adjust out. Yes, info on compatibility of top and bottom mounts would be useful info too. Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If your memory serves us well (;)) then it looks like we have a 10mm surplus of shock length that I wont be able to adjust out. Yes, info on compatibility of top and bottom mounts would be useful info too. Cheers.
When I tried to fit a gen 2 ohlins, a major issue was the bottom 'fork' mount on the shock was too short to pivot freely, so it would bottom out on the mount and therefore restrict full travel. I'm just wondering if you might be able to engineer something to work with your skills/connections/whatnot....

There's a shock chart somewhere around here that you should try to get a hold of. Might have more useful info.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
2 of our 3rd gen SV650s are using 2nd gen shocks with lengths of 336mm. If you want proper swingarm angle, you need to run the shock long. There are definitely clearance issues with the OEM link which need to be addressed. If your club rules allow link changes, www.robemengineering.com has an oem ratio progressive link and a linear link which provide clearance. If your'e stuck running the stock unmodified link, then a custom shock clevis can be made to get the ride height up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts