Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I've been collecting a pile of parts for my 'new' Gen 2 2009 SV650S, I have a clean '11 ZX14 rear shock standing by, (I'm a FATTIE AT 240+ compared to most of you'se guys it seems ;-)..) I have my eye on a Penske rear off a Gen 1 / 2002 SV650...

If I'm not off base, Gen1 OE shock is 8-10mm longer than the Gen 2 OE shock, (*...which apparently is a plus?? ) but aside from that, I assume non-disqualifying on its own fact,.
..is there any reason an aftermarket shock off a Gen 1 SV would NOT work on a Gen 2 SV ?

* I read a thread in here where a member was referencing several factors to be addressed to improve the SV handling in general, aside from the obvious: upgrade w/ better susp. parts..
there were also a cpl lines in there where he referenced the stock rear end just being set up too low stock, IIRC between 10-20mm or so too low?.. I cannot recall if that was specifically for the later SV's with the shorter shocks or ? Also, if not running a longer shock,..are the aftermarket dog links that raise the rear (or lower) a feasible option to lifting the back a bit if that's where i would like to go with it..? would love to confirm some of this..but I cannot for the life of me find that freekin thread again or the answer to this specific compatibility question.

I'm fairly confident it's all good, (holy smokes the "search" in here?!? wtf!) but would love a li'l confirmation..

Also, any feedback on relatively local suspension service providers near so. cal/ so western US.? worst case ill get the ZX shock serviced and swap it in 'til I find the right aftermarket rear....

Any / All feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,140 Posts
A lot of what you're saying sounds familiar when I think of the countless suspension threads I've read on here. I can't comment on what you are doing in particular, but I can say that RaceTech would be my first call if I were you. They're in Corona and could re-spring a shock for you and offer advice on what would work.

If you are around San Diego, there is a dude in Ramona I've been to who not only sets up bikes but will build a shock for you at a reasonable price. His name is Dax and his company/house is Sportbike Suspension Tuning. He's a good dude and can give you all sorts of good advice on how to set your bike up. Here is his site: Sportbike Suspension Tuning - Welcome!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
A Penske for a first gen is going to be too long, I think. Also the spring is likely too stiff.
Second gen race bikes typically use a length of 340-342mm, for street use you'd probably want it a little shorter. Springs typically in the 480-510 range.
First gen bikes get set up closer to 352mm and 650 lbs/in. I think the minimum length on the first gen Penskes is 345mm, but I could easily be wrong.

The length and the spring can easily be changed on the Penske, if the price on it is good I would grab that and send it to Zoran at twfracing.com to get adjusted and serviced.
It's a muuuuch better shock than the OEM ZX14

·
very big dumb
9,253 Posts
they can be converted back and forth by a penske shop, but they are not a direct drop-in

i actually have a 1g penske converted to 2g on one of my bikes

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
they can be converted back and forth by a penske shop, but they are not a direct drop-in

i actually have a 1g penske converted to 2g on one of my bikes
Yeah, I should have said "easily changed by someone who knows what they're doing. "
Hence the Zoran recommendation. :)

Reactions: mad8vskillz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS ALL. .. .awesome feed back, really appreciate it.

The zx shock is a temp solution, I'm a phatass anymore so the heavier shock was a specific choice.. ;-)....willing to invest a bit in getting it freshened up and possibly adjusted a bit more to suit my weight and riding.... I've only been out on this bike a handful of times, it's a clean AF, 13 yr old all stock SV, I could feel the suspension workin' hard under me....I cannot wait to feel the improvements.

But the end game is find a good used Ohlins or Penske deal, or stash enough cash away to just drop tha phat coin on a new one,.....eventually.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Penske for a first gen is going to be too long, I think. Also the spring is likely too stiff.
Second gen race bikes typically use a length of 340-342mm, for street use you'd probably want it a little shorter. Springs typically in the 480-510 range.
First gen bikes get set up closer to 352mm and 650 lbs/in. I think the minimum length on the first gen Penskes is 345mm, but I could easily be wrong.

The length and the spring can easily be changed on the Penske, if the price on it is good I would grab that and send it to Zoran at twfracing.com to get adjusted and serviced.
It's a muuuuch better shock than the OEM ZX14

Thanks!, this is the idea I had as well... not worried about the spring rate too much as i'm pushing it these days, well past the average 170-190 pounder...if it wasn't suitable as is, I hoped it might be tweakable to work as needed, just needed some one to confirm.

Any one have info on average prices for basic shock rebuild service / tweaks / length adjustments ? for proper aftermarket hardware..?

Knowing how much it could cost to get a used aftermarket shock freshened & dialed will determine how much to spend on a used one, if the end result is a used but dialed shock for the same cost or more than a new one with the same setup.......lol

Any one have a clue if its even feasible to buy a used penske/ ohlins shock get it set up, freshened,...... and save $$ over a new one ?...

I mean,...if its only like $200-250 less...just buy new eh?

·
very big dumb
9,253 Posts
Knowing how much it could cost to get a used aftermarket shock freshened & dialed will determine how much to spend on a used one, if the end result is a used but dialed shock for the same cost or more than a new one with the same setup.......lol

Any one have a clue if its even feasible to buy a used penske/ ohlins shock get it set up, freshened,...... and save $$ over a new one ?...
penske/ohlins/etc rebuilds are somewhere between 100-250 depending on the shop, what they have to fix in the process, if they're swapping springs, etc.
it cost me around $400 to convert a 1g penske into 2g.
used penske/ohlins/ktech/elka etc shocks usually go for around $500. a rebuilt one that was done VERY recently maybe $700. a new shock is usually 1200+

i personally wouldnt spend money on a zx/gsxr shock service. because wtf is the point, it's like throwing good money after bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...that's where i've made it to...swap it in and ride it... if its any worse then the 12 yr old stocker oh well, but I can't imagine that happening ..

...& keep looking for a decent deal on a proper shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts