Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 SV has had an issue for long time where it will crank for ages before starting and running fine. If I turn it off it will start again but if I leave it off overnight the issue will reoccur.

I believe it's an electrical issue, perhaps a bad starter motor? Sometimes the bike doesn't start and the battery will die, also the starter will continue to crank even without pressing the button and the ignition off.

I have replaced the starter relay, charged battery etc. I've learned to live with the issue as the bike usually runs but I really would like to sort it.

Any advice please

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
If the engine cranks strongly then probably carbs as Rich suggested.

If cranking is slow, might be the battery.

If confident the battery is good, could be worn starter motor brushes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the engine cranks strongly then probably carbs as Rich suggested.

If cranking is slow, might be the battery.

If confident the battery is good, could be worn starter motor brushes.
Borrowed a friend's battery and it started up no issues.

Can't believe it was that this whole time, got told it had a new battery when I bought the bike last year so assumed it was good but must be bad under load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the issues are ongoing, fantastic!

Replaced battery and the bike seemed to be fine, would turn over and thought all was well, went for a ride no issues.

Today went to start the bike after and it wouldn't turn over, new battery dead. Have replaced the reg/rec for a brand new one. Have tested stator and it is giving the appropriate values.

However when revving the bike the voltage seems to decrease, not increase like it should.

I switched over to the old battery that I had fully charged. Midway through a ride today the bike cut out and the guage clusters started acting weird. Symptom of a bad reg/rec but like I said I just put a new one on.

Thought it was a loose battery connection but I tightened these up and had the bike jump started. Rode home but the bike continued to have the guage issues. When I got home the bike wouldn't start up again so seems the battery is toast.

Not sure what to do...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Caught my eye when you said the bike turned over without touching the button. I've had similar problems with my 02: totally drained battery, new reg/rec, new relay, I noticed on mine that the connection at the relay for the rest of the harness is questionable at best. Haven't really solved the problem except to be very careful how I put in the connector. You might look there.

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
... when revving the bike the voltage seems to decrease, not increase like it should.
What voltage do you see? Should be about 14.5v at 5k rpm if the charging system is working.

... Symptom of a bad reg/rec but like I said I just put a new one on.
Where did the replacement R/R come from? What type is it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nothing productive to add except that I'm beginning to really hate 20 year old wiring harnesses and connectors. I did the MOSFET reg/rec mod, soldered it in, and that part of the system works great.

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
It's above 14V now, but doesn't increase when revving, it decreases 0.1-0.2V

I got it off eBay, SUZUKI SV650 1999-2003 & SV650S 99-2001 Voltage Regulator Rectifier UK Seller | eBay
13.5 to 15.0 v is in spec for charging voltage. 13.8v is on the low side but sufficient to keep the battery charged.

I know you just replaced the battery but if it is getting proper charging voltage but is still dying it is possible to have a bad battery out-of-the-box. Not common but does happen.

It is best to stay away from generic eBay R/Rs as they are unknown quality. Best is to buy a used FH008 R/R off a crashed Honda CBR or equivalent OEM.

For batteries, Yuasa is trusted OEM brand name. They are a little more expensive but are good quality with 50 year reputation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
13.5 to 15.0 v is in spec for charging voltage. 13.8v is on the low side but sufficient to keep the battery charged.

I know you just replaced the battery but if it is getting proper charging voltage but is still dying it is possible to have a bad battery out-of-the-box. Not common but does happen.

It is best to stay away from generic eBay R/Rs as they are unknown quality. Best is to buy a used FH008 R/R off a crashed Honda CBR or equivalent OEM.

For batteries, Yuasa is trusted OEM brand name. They are a little more expensive but are good quality with 50 year reputation.
I did replace it with a yuasa. I checked if it drops voltage after being charged and it has not moved from 12.8v overnight.

I will definitely replace my r/r with a MOSFET one.

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
Yes, replace with a cool running MOSFET type R/R only. The R/R on the gen1 is mounted in the tail, does not get good airflow. Heat is the enemy of electronics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts