Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2000 SV650 N
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question, but does the gen1 650 have a rev limiter? I'm too much of a pussy to rev mine that high to check, in fear of my engine going nuclear. If so, what is the limit?

Registered
Yes, its fine. Rev away kitty cat :LOL:

Actually, I think Ive only hit it once or twice on a miss shift. There's really no need.

Reactions: Geo Smith

Registered
2000 SV650 N
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rev away kitty cat
Thank you pumpkin.

Is it set at a certain RPM? Not that it makes much difference to an old fart like me. But I find it interesting in various youtubes I see guys just laying into the rev limiter.

Registered
canon gives a good explanation in this thread:

rev limiter

Reactions: Geo Smith

Super Moderator
You can always find the rev limit through experimentation. : -)

Registered
2000 SV650 N
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tee, that's what I envision my beloved SV doing if I bounce against the rev limiter.

Registered

Super Moderator
... I would have been pissed if he melted my plastics.
Yeah, that was quite a fireball!

Two things cross my mind when I watch that video: 1) It is weird how casual the guy is when the giant fireball suddenly blows up in his face, 2) What type of engine failure caused so much fuel to dump out?

very big dumb
yes there's a limiter (as part of the cdi box)
did you know the sv400 cdi box gets you an extra 1000 rpm of limiter though?

Registered
2000 SV650 N
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you know the sv400 cdi box gets you an extra 1000 rpm of limiter though?
I had to look that up Serg. I didn't know there was such a bike.
SV400
Made for only the Japan market. Interesting, the 400 limiter gets an additional 1k.

Registered
Thought about getting a sv400 box when the R/R destroyed the standard one but couldn't find one but after seeing dyno results I don't think there is much to be gained however it would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried it because the cut out may not be the only difference.

Registered
2019 Suzuki SV650X 2000 Kawasaki ZX12R
The 400 box is cool and good info to have but I figure if someone is trying to get the most from their bike and want to up the limiter might as well just flash the ecu.

very big dumb
1g cdi boxes dont have anything to flash...
2g can only get flashed 07+ (power commander is the only way 03-06)

very big dumb
Thought about getting a sv400 box when the R/R destroyed the standard one but couldn't find one but after seeing dyno results I don't think there is much to be gained however it would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried it because the cut out may not be the only difference.
@swiest152 care to chime in? you might be the only one here...

Registered
There is a after market cdi for the gen1 sv650 I was going to get if I couldn't find a oem replacement and the the thing I liked was it needed no TPS and used a micro gyro i think to adjust timing as needed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts