Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I like mine. Anything is an improvement over the stocky.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Thats a great price.

Can anyone confirm if the 2nd gen OEM Gel seat is similar to the 1st gen in that if it sits in the sun and then you hop on for a ride you will continually burn your arse for a good 10-15mins because it retains SOOOO MUCH heat? That's probably my biggest gripe with my 1st gen oem gel seat, well, that and that its got neoprene on the top so it absorbs water.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Thats a great price.

Can anyone confirm if the 2nd gen OEM Gel seat is similar to the 1st gen in that if it sits in the sun and then you hop on for a ride you will continually burn your arse for a good 10-15mins because it retains SOOOO MUCH heat? That's probably my biggest gripe with my 1st gen oem gel seat, well, that and that its got neoprene on the top so it absorbs water.
I don't have one (I have a Sargent :)), but ASC has one.

And if I remember correctly, those two complaints are the only two complaints that he has with the Gel seat.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I don't have one (I have a Sargent :)), but ASC has one.

And if I remember correctly, those two complaints are the only two complaints that he has with the Gel seat.
Correct. It gets hot... and STAYS hot. I work in Williamsburg, and even by the time I got to Yorktown... 14miles away... it was still too hot to sit on for any period of time. Actually got pulled over for standing on the pegs and "stunting", the LEO said. However, when I explained why I was standing, and had him touch the seat, he said "Jes... eepers, that is hot."

Not sure when I got the seat... I was well under 10,000 miles... so I've had it for about 50,000 miles on it. It's actually starting to fall apart and sepparate at one of the seems. Still soft though. I can usually ride for about 3-400 miles before my ass starts getting sore.

I need to fix my seat... but at $109, I could just replace it. IMO, for that price, you get a great seat. Sargent and Corbin are very nice, but alot more money. But you get what you pay for. Unless you're doing some SERIOUSLY long days in the saddle, I'd get the gel seat.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Perfect timing for this thread, I just bought one off of TomServo. I want a better seat but refuse to cough up the $$ for the other big two alternatives.

I'll come back and update this thread after a ride this weekend.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sooner or later, I'll make a post about it..but I also have a Suzuki Gel seat I'll be selling. Used, but in great shape.

DZ GEL SEAT SOLD.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I am on a 1st gen stock seat. I've been riding for 3 months now. I'll have a gel seat in about a week from ebay. I'll post a review.

·
Registered
24 Posts
anybody have a list of options as far as aftermarket seats go? not sure I'm going to change it out, but would love to know my top 5 choices in case I ever come across a deal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How much better is the gel seat vs. the stock one?? Is it worth the money?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Just bought 1 for the wife, she took 1 ride on it and didn't like. (Made it hard for her to flat foot)... So I sent her stock seat to Spencer (greatdayto ride), and she loves it.

On the other hand I have a gel on my 1000 and love it, can sit in the saddle all day. To bad the one for the 650 doesn't fit the 1000 since its an 03, cause I would have a spare. Instead it's just going collect some dust for a while..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Crap. I want to get this. It's a good price and the stock seat won't cut it once the weather gets better and I ride longer.

However, I live in Reno. I also ride to work, leaving my bike out in the sun all day. 2 years ago the summer heat / sun was bad enough to, over the course of the summer, warp the fairing on my Ninja and melt the kickstand thru the asphalt. I think the heat retention is a deal breaker for me...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Crap. I want to get this. It's a good price and the stock seat won't cut it once the weather gets better and I ride longer.

However, I live in Reno. I also ride to work, leaving my bike out in the sun all day. 2 years ago the summer heat / sun was bad enough to, over the course of the summer, warp the fairing on my Ninja and melt the kickstand thru the asphalt. I think the heat retention is a deal breaker for me...
Maybe you could just cover it with something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got my stock seat modified @ Spencers.

Cost was $100 CDN. Very professional. Very quick Turnaround time (approx 10-days to Canada)

Seat is much more comfortable.

Highly recommend if you don't want to spend extra cash for Aftermarket.

Plus you still have a stock look.

Plus if your short you can get seat lowered about 1.5"

Don't forget Spencers.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I have heard nothing but positive remarks about his work. But I'm not going to cough up my Sargent. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts