Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a pretty disappointing experience with Geico trying to get my Gladi insured. I figured I'd go with them as I have 8 years without claim with them and a clean auto license for 17 years.

I went through their online quote system and got a decent quote at about $850 for the year, full comp and collision etc etc. Signed up for the insurance and made the first payment via CC - they force you to do this online to even start the process of getting the insurance.

Today I get an email saying my policy is up over $1100 and that my payments have changed. I called them and they said the bike wasn't originally listed as a sports bike and that's what changed the policy. I was very clear about the bike model and year when I filled out their web form.

Kinda feel like I just got suckered with a bait and switch tactic, they took my deposit on a quote when it seems now that no-one even checks the quote at thier end, and then when they actually look at it they just changed the price by almost 40% after the fact.

???

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Weak.

Switch to State Farm. They don't do classifications... they base rates solely on CC's. I shopped around quite a bit before I bought the SV, and they were by far the best rate out there. (Lucky me, I've been using them for nearly 20 years anyway. :))

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Yeah, that sux. Screw 'em. Lots of different threads around here on insurance. I got mine through State Farm for $331/yr for the highest coverage I could get.

Weak.

Switch to State Farm. They don't do classifications... they base rates solely on CC's. I shopped around quite a bit before I bought the SV, and they were by far the best rate out there. (Lucky me, I've been using them for nearly 20 years anyway. :))
Yep by cc is the way to go.

We have 2 trucks and house and contents through State Farm also and I have only been living in the US 10 years as well with a clean driving record.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nothing new, that is why I am with State Farm now.

Before I got my bike, I call them on the phone, and the rep quoted me a price for my current bike, the week I actually got the bike, I call them back to settle everything, the new rep on the phone could not find any record of my previous call / quote and gave me a completely rediculous quote.

That same day, I called a State farm agent that is next to where I work by, the lady treated me very nice on the phone and within 10 min I had an official quote on my personal email inbox. Lunch time came about, I walked to the agency, was treated with respect and I sat down and signed all the paper, I would not return to Geico for nothing...

I do customer service for a huge insurance company, if you call here, our calls are always recorded and I have to note/log each call that comes in, what you needed, and what I did to help you. If you call back next week, all those notes are available for any other rep to read and refer to. Most of the time, if we make a mistake in our part, the UW will grand the original quote for the first year.

If you call Geico today, they can't email you the quote for some reason and if you call back tomorrow, no other rep will be able to find any records of your previous call.

I much rather have a local agent that I can betch and complain if I don't like something...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, that sux. Screw 'em. Lots of different threads around here on insurance. I got mine through State Farm for $331/yr for the highest coverage I could get.

Yep by cc is the way to go.

We have 2 trucks and house and contents through State Farm also and I have only been living in the US 10 years as well with a clean driving record.
Not any more, State Farm's do use classifications now, at least in Florida, but still their rates are very competitive...

My current state farm policy explicitly rates the SV as a SPORT BIKE.

Further more, State Farm here in florida will charge just as much to insure a Ninja 500cc then the SV 650cc. The ninja 500cc is also rated as a very risky sport bike because the amount of accidents on that model and because it gets stolen a lot.

But I still went with State Farm, since they pull out all their home insurance from FL, they are not hurting to maintain their other customers so they are giving some really good rates here FL, with classifications for bikes, not just CC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call back. Politely ask for your money back. Ask loudly for your money back. Then demand your money back.

Switch to someone else. ;D
I like this advice lol. I'll make an appointment with my local State Farm agent tomorrow, and while I'm there give them the chance to get my auto insurance business too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
if they changed the classification after you were up front about the model they must refund your money.
A key difference here is, when you sign up and pay your down payment, did you provide the bike vin number at that time ?

Any quote without a vin number is subject to any change, but if you did provide the vin number of the bike, then you can get out....

Not sure that they might give you a full refund, unless you can bind insurance with state farm from the same exact date that you did bind insurance with Geico, other wise they will charge you for the time period in between...

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A key difference here is, when you sign up and pay your down payment, did you provide the bike vin number at that time ?

Any quote without a vin number is subject to any change, but if you did provide the vin number of the bike, then you can get out....

Not sure that they might give you a full refund, unless you can bind insurance with state farm from the same exact date that you did bind insurance with Geico, other wise they will charge you for the time period in between...

Good luck.
Yes I had to provide the VIN number before I paid which is why this is so shady, they had no excuse for not knowing exactly what the bike was.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14:

beers for everyone!!!!!!!

Just got off the phone with State Farm, maximum coverage they offer with $500 deduct on collision and comp - $318 per 6 months. Going into my local office tomorrow to sign the paperwork. The guy had to look quite a bit to find the bike, I had to tell him it was an SFV650 before it came up on his computer, but when he found it, it was indeed listed as a Gladius.

Thanks for the awesome advice!!

:eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Way to go. Pity you are not going to the rally in June so we can collect on beers ;D

Strange ??? SF is the full fairing model SV6550SF but if it found Gladius you are all systems go. Guess its their code for the Gladius

Anyway glad its all sorted for ya.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Where did you think they got the money to pay the cavemen and the gecko?

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Maximus : Also call your insurance commissioner's office. Nobody can hassle an insurance company like state insurance commissioner. And their job is to care about stuff like bait-and-switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow that sucks, I've had Geico for all my bikes in the past(never had a problem), and State Farm for my other vehicles because of better rates, but maybe I should check into State Farm for total coverage again, the full coverage rates seem cheap.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I use safeco for the bike, my SV650S was considered a cruiser/standard, I was 24 no accidents and clean record, got mine for $428 a year using automatic bank draft method with no deposit up front. Since I turned 25 it dropped to $370 a year, thats full coverage with comp, collision, med pay, and $500 deductible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After moving to state farm I called Geico to cancel today and told them my opinion on the whole thing. They gave me the excuse that no-one had tried to insure a Gladius with them before so they didn't have all the details on the bike and that's why they had to adjust my rate after the fact - then they blabbered on about having the right to do it within 30 days.

Either way I cancelled and I am happy with State Farm and having a real person just down the street I can talk to if I have any issues.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts