Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is everyone going to bigger rear sprockets??? Years ago I did a test between two NT650GT Hawks with the same mods. But on my Hawk I went down two teeth on the rear. My Hawk would pull the other one everytime. Switch bikes I rode the other one I got beat by my bike. So it wasn't a rider thing. Plus I was heavier by 40lbs over the other guy. I could pull redline  in 5th (top gear) which computed out to 126mph. with just a pipe / jetting / uni pods . On my 03 Sv 650 I've gone UP one tooth on the front sprocket. Still pulls real hard out of turns. 1st and 2nd gear wheelies still happen but with a little more control. Playing around the other day I hooked up with a couple of  BIG bikes up here in NOR-CAL one was a 04 GSXR 1000 and the other an 05 R1. They got to see first hand how hard the SV could pull. They were amazed. Coming out of 1st/2nd gear turns wheeling while still leaned over.  The R1 rider clocked me at 127mph and I was still pulling pretty hard. He wants an SV now. Try going the other way on your gearing you'll like it. Unless your riding around town doing stunts for your friends. ::)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know what you are riding, but I want one. My stock naked 2k3 does not power wheelie coming out of corners in second, and only powers on in first with a bounce. Yours does this after you went UP in gearing? I'm stumped. Can anyone else do this?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Mine will power wheelie leaned over in 2nd on uphill exits (14/45) but not very high (just carries the wheel). However, what you are descibing is not possible with everything else held constaint.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guy's aren't getting 2nd  gear wheelies ???  well what could it be?  with my stock gearing  1st gear roll on wheelies flat ground was way to easy, bang 2nd it would go over backwards. that's why I changed my gearing in the first place. let's see, I am using my right hand to turn my 5th turn throttle ALL the way open and I am using a lot of body english to get off the edge of the tire. (Pilot Powers) they hook up!!!!! I do slide as far back as I can coming out of turns. weight transfer? SV1000 intake snorkle? BMC filter? this thing rocks. I don't know what to tell ya? when I was in my 20's a bike with as much HP as my SV was at least a 1000cc four and tip the scales near 500lbs.  they were rockets back then. I have been riding for 43 years maybe that's it? I don't know? When I ride my sv in the mountains, which are all around me here in NOR-CAL it reminds me of an XR600R I use to ride. same kinda power band. I know where my limits are and bang right into them. at my age if I slow down any I'll just seize up. ::) 

·
Registered
48 Posts
How much do you weigh? It may be just the weight transfer. I only way 140, and if I sit way back in the seat and pull on bars I can roll on in first gear, but definatelly not second. It might be easier to get the tire off the ground with more weight moving suddenly to the back. BTW what is body english?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm really not too big on wheelies, I'm more into cornering ability, etc, but my '04 impressed the crap out of me the other day... I was riding with some friends a few days ago on a local favorite road, and my 65 year old incredibly cocky friend on his tricked out VTX-1800 challenged me to a drag race. We were at a nice cruising pace in on some tight corners before a long straight, and he motioned for me to get next to him. I rode up along side him, we both downshift into second and off we go! As soon as I nailed the throttle I was staring at the sky. It scared the crap out of me, this has never happened before on this bike. I immediately let off and hit the throttle again, this time a little more slowly, but I still pulled a healthy wheelie long enough to pass my buddy with my front wheel airborn. Needless to say, he got worked by a bike 1/3 the size, and worth about 1/3 of what he's put into his VTX. He was embarrassed to get beat by such a small bike, but very impressed. He buys a new bike every couple years, and I guarantee his next will be an SV.

Sorry for the long, mostly unrelated story, but it was a blast.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you must not have an sv. how the hell can you pull 2nd gear power wheelies with that gearing? i cant pull them with 14/47. or your bs'ing or you have the worlds fastest sv.

then again just like cars, im sure if you dyno 50 stck sv's their could be a 10hp difference from the slowest to fastest. maybe you just got a good one?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My SV gets edgy if you play around at 7000rpm , which is where it has all the horsepower ready to unleash.
Speed wise I'm talking about anything under 50mph.
Don't know if this is possible but someone could try 3rd gear but raise it easy (little throttle) to 7000rpm then see what it can do.
Every bike has it's full HP at a certain number of RPM , take it to the mark with barely any throttle and then experience what the particular number of HP feels like. ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ton said:
How much do you weigh? It may be just the weight transfer. I only way 140, and if I sit way back in the seat and pull on bars I can roll on in first gear, but definatelly not second. It might be easier to get the tire off the ground with more weight moving suddenly to the back. BTW what is body english?
180lbs/hanging off the bike(body english) when you start to slide the rear tire coming out of a turn slide your body to the inside of the turn so you can raise the bike up a little to get off the edge of the tire so you can apply more throttle. I also use the clutch to control wheel spin. I just wonder how many of you ride or have ridden dirt bikes? cause that's all I am doing is riding my little SV like a dirt bike. and one guy wrote his gets edgy around 7000rpm I have already shifted if it had drop that low in the R's. another said I might be BSing why would or should I? I don't need to impress anybody. and yes I think mine does run a little better than most.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Jimmie said:
180lbs/hanging off the bike(body english) when you start to slide the rear tire coming out of a turn slide your body to the inside of the turn so you can raise the bike up a little to get off the edge of the tire so you can apply more throttle. I also use the clutch to control wheel spin. I just wonder how many of you ride or have ridden dirt bikes? cause that's all I am doing is riding my little SV like a dirt bike. and one guy wrote his gets edgy around 7000rpm I have already shifted if it had drop that low in the R's. another said I might be BSing why would or should I? I don't need to impress anybody. and yes I think mine does run a little better than most.
I think we might have found your issues... 1st you aren't getting far enough off to begin with and 2nd you might be releasing the clutch and actually clutching up the wheelie. I don't suggest either technique. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
199 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I think we might have found your issues... 1st you aren't getting far enough off to begin with and 2nd you might be releasing the clutch and actually clutching up the wheelie. I don't suggest either technique. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I was thinking along those same lines Ron. Not bashing anyone. I get way off during set up, and never use the clutch. I don't keep the revs that high in corners either, to avoid wheelspin entirely.
^
EDIT: going into

·
Registered
597 Posts
Portuga said:
My SV gets edgy if you play around at 7000rpm , which is where it has all the horsepower ready to unleash.
Speed wise I'm talking about anything under 50mph.
Don't know if this is possible but someone could try 3rd gear but raise it easy (little throttle) to 7000rpm then see what it can do.
Every bike has it's full HP at a certain number of RPM , take it to the mark with barely any throttle and then experience what the particular number of HP feels like. ;)
7,000 is the torque peak of the RPM band. Between 6 and 8 grand is where I live in the twisties. I have absolutely no problem with rear tire spin or the front wheel comming up. Smooth right hand is the key.

Edit : I have 14/44 and R6 tube

·
Registered
199 Posts
treoff said:
7,000 is the torque peak of the RPM band. Between 6 and 8 grand is where I live in the twisties. I have absolutely no problem with rear tire spin or the front wheel comming up. Smooth right hand is the key.

Edit : I have 14/44 and R6 tube
+1  I also have the r6 tube and have run 14/44,16/44, and now back to 15/44(because I didn't want to pay $15-20 more for the gsxr6 cs sprocket). Only had wheelspin once, on a damp dragon when in too low a gear.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ronlarimer said:
I think we might have found your issues...  1st you aren't getting far enough off to begin with and 2nd you might be releasing the clutch and actually clutching up the wheelie.  I don't suggest either technique.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I think you are right, I took a little ride early this morn and noticed that I was using the clutch more than I thought. (coming out of turns). But the hanging off thing I don't know. Most people tell me I hang off way to much. Old habit from the Kawi triple/BMW days. Guess I'm busted. :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
it's easier for heavys to wheelie the SV, I have no problem wheelieing in 3rd gear, and I have a 16t front sprocket, it's also easier to wheelie uphill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts