Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious... how far away from stock gearing have you guys ever ventured on your TRACK ONLY bikes? Anyone ever have to run some crazy weird gearing for any particular track? Or does the relatively wide power band of the SV allow us all to keep our gearing pretty close to stock?

I ask because I use the same gearing for both NHIS (a tight, technical 1.6mi track where I only use gears 3, 4 and 5) as I do for NJMP Thunderbolt (a much longer, faster track where I use 3-6) and can't really imagine many cases where we'd need to go too far away from 15/45 gearing for any particular track.

So, anyone ever have to run any crazy gearing or do you guys stick pretty close to standard?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Stock SV's here at BIR are using 15/45, if you have a superbike motor on the "original" track configuration you can gain some speed by going 15/44 or 43. Mile long front straight so lots of time to make up if you have the HP to turn the gearing (stock does not).

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I used to run 14x49 at both Hallett and Oak Hill. Both are short, tight tracks, (Oak Hill extremely so) and that let me use 3-6. Lots of other guys would run 15x45 at those tracks and use 2-5. Either worked, I just liked the gear spacing better with the 14x49.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've used 15 and 16 tooth fronts and 42-46 tooth rear sprockets, so nothing too out of the ordinary. I have a 14 tooth front, but it's still in the packaging.

·
Registered
208 Posts
14-47 for a couple tracks we regularly run on

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i had a 42 rear om my 08....

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I run a 14 45 at the tracks I ride around here just ran HPT last weekend it is 2.3 miles 13 turns gearing worked great ran some 1:58s and 1:59s which according to some old racers is fast for a stock SV .

·
Registered
208 Posts
One of the tracks we run that gearing on has an mc lap record of 1:14.My best rider DJ Ricks ran a 1:18 on our endurance bike. Just one of those tracks were using all six gears works

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
On the supersport:

Blackhawk Farms I run 15/47
Road America 15/45

On the superbike:

Blackhawk Farms 15/46
Road America 15/43

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I ran 16/48 on my SV.... I know it's the same ratio as 15/45, but you get less vibration and better chain & sprocket life.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I may have been unclear. I meant that the 16/48 combo gives less vibration and longer life.
With the 15/45, the same load is applied to a smaller surface area. That means the load is distributed across fewer parts which means faster wear. The tighter turn makes for geater wear as well because the links rotate further around the axis of the pins.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
One of the tracks we run that gearing on has an mc lap record of 1:14.My best rider DJ Ricks ran a 1:18 on our endurance bike. Just one of those tracks were using all six gears works
I don't think DJ's using all six. He carries way too much corner speed for that :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may have been unclear. I meant that the 16/48 combo gives less vibration and longer life.
With the 15/45, the same load is applied to a smaller surface area. That means the load is distributed across fewer parts which means faster wear. The tighter turn makes for geater wear as well because the links rotate further around the axis of the pins.
Wow, I totally mis-read that ratio.... I thought you said 14/43. Think i need to have my eyes checked. :dizzy:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think DJ's using all six. He carries way too much corner speed for that :)
Sixth & almost into the limiter before the rattlesnake.Picked up 1 full second off his personal best using my gearing instead of his

1 - 20 of 25 Posts