Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two, hopefully inexpensive, mods soon. A stage 1 jet kit to fix a small flat spot I have and to increase power somewhat and a gear ratio change. So far in my research, threads posted on here and elsewhere, of this I was told not to look to drop my front drive sprocket for fear of slipping my chain off under hard riding and to look to make my changes to the rear sprocket. I am not too concerned about high end b/c I don't spend much time in 5th at WOT. I have always most liked and most used the SV's low end torque and acceleration. I am only looking to increase my torque a little in this mod not looking for some wheelie popping stunta bike or anything. Has anyone made a gear ration upgrade for street use? Were you pleased with it? My rear is stock so it is presently 45 tooth correct. What do you recommend going with? 46? 47? 48? I will probably also go with a 520 while I am at it. Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have 14/45 and like it a lot. I don't know of any cases of losing a chain on a 14t and can't really see how that would happen.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
losing your chain from front sprocket is one thing i have never seen. Proper installation is key and always replace sprockets and chains as a set.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many tooth is my stock front drive sproket?

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about going up in gearing? I've been doing a lot of highway riding lately, and I find that 75 mph is running about 6000 rpm. I'd like to gear my bike a little higher to bring the revs down on the highway. Has anyone geared their bike higher? If so, what gearing works well?

N

·
0 Posts
All the OEMs use 14T front sprockets so I wouldn't sweat it. The advantage of changing ratios at the front vs. the rear is that it's cheap, easy and doesn't require you to swap chains.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
jared1970 said:
How about going up in gearing? I've been doing a lot of highway riding lately, and I find that 75 mph is running about 6000 rpm. I'd like to gear my bike a little higher to bring the revs down on the highway. Has anyone geared their bike higher? If so, what gearing works well?
I like the higher gear ratio, less shifting, stay in each gear longer, rarely get out of 4th unless on the highway.
the OEM gixxer sprocket fits the SV so you can still have that rubber thingie on the sprocket that dampens the sound like a stock 15t

1 - 9 of 9 Posts