Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding one to my bike. My question is, Anyone running one? Likes/dislikes? Opinions? Just asking before I drop $1-200 on one! Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I know some people that have em and really love em. The SV is easy enough to tell what gear its in buy the RPMs so it wasn't worth it, to me, to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
290 Posts
get the GI Pro ATRE. you get the gear indicator, AND an ATRE. plus its a quality piece. no ebay special.

its plug and play, but you gotta set it to run the 6th gear map and manually run it through the gears for it to learn. but even with that and having to run the wiring it only takes 30 minutes

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion....

I used to search for that elusive 7th gear quite a bit at the begining but a quick check of the speend and tach and i know what gear i am in....no need for an indicator...especially when its costing me 4,000 miles of fuel

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
get the GI Pro ATRE. you get the gear indicator, AND an ATRE. plus its a quality piece. no ebay special.

its plug and play, but you gotta set it to run the 6th gear map and manually run it through the gears for it to learn. but even with that and having to run the wiring it only takes 30 minutes
That's exactly the one I was looking at yesterday. Ridermagazine.com had it reviewed! And $160 is why I wanted some opinions, to see if it's worth the $$$$.

·
Registered
554 Posts
im always looking for the elusive 6th gear on my DRZ and my buell :p

·
Registered
513 Posts
What exactly does ATRE do? I know dumb question but I didn't learn anything in college today except for calculus and how is that helpful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
it is kinda expensive, and you wont get a big increase in power, . but same with a slip-on....... it will smooth things out, i noticed that in combination with the TPS adjustment my bike is much less prone to jerking at super low RPM's. part throttle response was better as well.

anyway, what it does is eliminate the factory default softened timing maps in the lower gears. basically, to pass noise and emissions tests, suzuki programmed the ECU to pull timing in the lower gears. not a huge amount, but its legit. less horsepower. anyway, the ATRE fools the computer into running optimum timing all the time, in our case the 6th gear unrestricted map.

you can fab up an ATRE for cheap if you are savvy, or buy one off the board members for like 30 bucks. but honestly, i didnt feel that the price was unreasonable given the bonus of a gear indicator, the quality construction, and i just get a hard-on for gadgets

1 - 20 of 26 Posts