Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a coworker of mine is worried about her daughter, who has started riding pillion on a friend's sportbike. she asked me if i could find an "official looking" site that outlines what kind of gear is recommended for motorcycle passengers.

anyone have any links to that effect?

i suppose links to accident stories/statistics would be fine too, just nothing too gory. the aim is more or less to "scare her straight" since she has been, to this point, the stereotypical flipflops n shortshorts wearing passenger.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
there was the video of the chick popping off the back after her boyfriend did a wheelie. then the pics following of her injuries. might scare her straight. or start darwin's phone ringing

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
enh... the focus at this point is more gear-related. (when was the last time a teenager listened to statistics? they are / we were invincible, remember? ;) )

i do have a link to the hurt report, ill send her that as a start. keep em coming though.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
"Scare" the daughter into wearing gear? Try this link:

http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=42334

and also google motorcycle injuries. Enjoy...

Passenger gear = rider's gear. No more, no less.

No kid of mine would set foot on a bike without full gear either as a rider or passenger. Non negotiable.

Tell your coworker to stand firm, cause the risks are that serious. Good luck...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:

No kid of mine would set foot on a bike without full gear either as a rider or passenger. Non negotiable.

Tell your coworker to stand firm, cause the risks are that serious. Good luck...
A big +1 to that. Nor would any kid of mine ever set foot on a sportbike ridden by her teenage boyfriend. I'm obviously intensely pro-motorcycle and I still see the idea of a pillion on an 18 y/o's SS as an immensely stupid idea. I saw it last night. 90+ degrees and mr cool on a GSX-R 600 had a non-perf'd leather A* coat and an Arai helmet, but no other gear. The teen on the back had a no name helmet, long pants and a long sleeved shirt. Little better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
+1 i was gonna say that also, have her wear wut the rider wears, which SHOULD BE a jacket, pants, gloves and a helmet, also some footwear with ankle protection

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
as far as gear recommendations as requested for passengers from the lady... I would tell her that passengers are no different from the person controlling the bike and any info found on propper gear for any rider is the same for any passenger on a motorcycle.

Last year in Georgia when a fellow rider went down... we were told that the police there were cracking down hard on sportbikes especially with pillion riders because of the increase in serious accidents involving the two.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Nimbus said:
Six Chin Skinny said:

A big +1 to that. Nor would any kid of mine ever set foot on a sportbike ridden by her teenage boyfriend. I'm obviously intensely pro-motorcycle and I still see the idea of a pillion on an 18 y/o's SS as an immensely stupid idea. I saw it last night. 90+ degrees and mr cool on a GSX-R 600 had a non-perf'd leather A* coat and an Arai helmet, but no other gear. The teen on the back had a no name helmet, long pants and a long sleeved shirt. Little better than nothing.
Hate to say this guys, but I was that 19yo a-hole that took someone's daughter for a ride with no gear (13 years ago, that is). That girl is now my wife, and I'm a lot smarter now, but we still think back and are dumbfounded at our own stupidity (at least I never dumped it with her on the back). My wife always says "my dad would have killed me if he ever found out." However, he never found out, so I guess it's all ok, and we've been happily married for over 6 years now.

I just wanted to post up that even though there are kids that know better, that doesn't always mean they DO better.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
og-- Lots of truth in your post, but a parent has to try... Glad both you and your wife made it through your wild youth without serious injury... 8)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I read the article for grins, and found this very interesting:

..."A helmet really is essential. It will protect you from a real life-destroying event. Someone who tells you otherwise is either misinformed or being dishonest. The rest of the recommended riding gear will most likely just prevent pain and suffering. You should wear long pants. Even a minor tip-over can leave uncovered legs scarred for life. Jeans do an acceptable job of protection, though heavier clothing is better. Don't ride in shorts or accept a ride from a rider who does (who once again has failed the test about whether he has realistically assessed the risks).
Okay, that's like the third article that has said that jeans are good protection (though not the best).

I'm sorry to thread-jack in a way, but this is a form of question for those that harp on people that wear pants and high ankle boots instead of mc gear...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
og-- Lots of truth in your post, but a parent has to try... Glad both you and your wife made it through your wild youth without serious injury... 8)
Don't worry, when I have kids, I'll harp on them about proper gear like there's no tomorrow, but I'm not there yet. :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
theoldguy said:
Okay, that's like the third article that has said that jeans are good protection (though not the best).

I'm sorry to thread-jack in a way, but this is a form of question for those that harp on people that wear pants and high ankle boots instead of mc gear...

tog-- I'll bite... Most moto articles are written for the majority audience: in this case, weekend cruiser riders. As we all see, for most of these riders standard gear includes a beanie helmet (only if in a helmet law state), wife beater or fringed leather vest, jeans or shorts, and whatever shoes they feel like wearing. They don't ride hard and they don't ride many miles in a year. For this crowd, getting even 50% voluntary compliance in DOT/Snell helmet, moto jacket, any type of glove, jeans, and any type of boot would be a major accomplishment...

Baby steps are the only steps that can be taken at this point...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
[...Baby steps are the only steps that can be taken at this point...
Well, that makes sense. (all of your message, not just the last part) I just had to bring up that question b/c it's been killing me. I read some gear nazis harp on people for wearing jeans and wanted to at least point out that they should give some the benefit of the doubt.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, simply check the temperature :)

Thanks for the info Six.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just because you arent the one twisting the throttle doesnt mean you dont need the same amount of gear...what i find ridiculous are guys that are in gull gear while their girlfriends on the back just have a helmet...i got my girl a helmet, jacket, boots...its just irresponsible to me...

- alex

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
im not sure but in most states, if the cops see them w/o atleast a helmet they are getting a ticket. I got one and my passenger got one. Lesson learned, no lid, no ride.

·
Registered
597 Posts
"The rest of the recommended riding gear will most likely just prevent pain and suffering.... Jeans do an acceptable job of protection, though heavier clothing is better."
That may be a "baby steps" philosophy towards wearing better gear, but it's still bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Jeans may be better than nothing, but are far from "acceptable" when you see the the photos of people that have gone down in them.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
brady said:
"The rest of the recommended riding gear will most likely just prevent pain and suffering.... Jeans do an acceptable job of protection, though heavier clothing is better."
That may be a "baby steps" philosophy towards wearing better gear, but it's still bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Jeans may be better than nothing, but are far from "acceptable" when you see the the photos of people that have gone down in them.

No argument from this gear nazi on the value of jeans in a crash.

I think they are also considering the frequency of drops and tip overs at walking speed or at a stop and how jeans would be better than skin. Anything over 10-15 mph and it's a whole different ballgame, IMO...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the responses, guys. ill send my coworker the links i have, as well as a link to this thread. hopefully her daughter will gear up. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts