Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm about 1 month new to my 05 sv. The bike was in good condition when I bought it and the PO said he never had any problems...it was very clean. I'm wondering, however, what a normal amount of gear chatter is for these bikes. I don't have any reference point other than my older bandit, which seemed to have much less. I guess it is hard to quantify "chatter"...The bike makes a pretty noticeable chatter in all the gears above 1st, whenever i'm putting the throttle on (the fact that it doesn't do it in first is what makes it noticeable, i think). i can especially hear it when i'm riding on the freeway next to a cement barrier or wall. is this standard for these bikes, or should i go and have a mechanic look at it? The bike came with an aftermarket warranty that is still good for another year, so I'd like to have any serious problems fixed with that while I still can.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
You should describe the noise you hear a little better. Is it vibrating or shaking? Could it be the chain making the sound? A twin cylinder bike is going to feel and sound alot different than a I-4 Bandit. It is going to shutter a little when turning the throttle.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not the chain. it is definitely coming from the gearbox. i thought "chatter" was a standard term to describe the sound a gearbox makes when it is under load: a kind of high pitched metalic sound. when i coast doesn't make the sound, and when i start accelerating again it makes it. the chain tension is correct, the chain is in good condition and i have just lubed it, as i do every 300 miles, sprockets are good. does clutch tension affect this? the clutch is adjusted correctly up at the lever, but glancing at the manual it doesn't look like it has adjustment down below, like my bandit did. i'll read that thread...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts