Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a newbie rider/SV owner and I could do with some help.

I recently bought an 03 with 18800 miles on the clock and overall the bike is performing wonderfully. However, I have noticed a problem with the gear change. I can go from 1st to 2nd without problems, but going into higher gears I often have to perform my gear shift twice to get the bike to actually change gear. The lever doesn't feel stiff, but when I lift it up to change gear I can feel that it doesn't always click into place to signify the change. Downshifting doesn't have a problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and what I need to do to fix this? Huge thanks in advance!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you change the oil on the bike when you got it? That might be a good place to start plus its always a good idea to do this when you first obtain ownership of a biek so that you are starting out with a clean slate on your oil change schedule. SVs are a little finiky with their oil levels and if you have too much in there it makes it very difficult to shift.

Secondly I would recommend performing the "Clutch Mantra" and see if that doesn't help a bit.

These two things substantially help improve the feel of shifting on the bike when I first got mine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ya sometimes this happens to me. Its more like depending on the situation but at speed your more focused on the road and obstacles ( as you should be) than the position of your left foot. The point i'm getting at here is if you up shift and your foot is still in the general under shifter position i.e the shifter still resting on your foot a lil. If the shifter doesn't come alllll the way down to its original resting position after a shift. The next time you go to shift you'll click up and there won't be anything there because whatever is in there the shift rod or w/e hasn't fully finished the original shift.

Just make sure the shifter coming all the way down after a shift.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
You might adjust the lever downward a bit which will make it complete the shift with less upward flexing of your ankle. I have found upshifting a conventional gearbox pattern more difficult than with the reversed 'GP' style, and run the 'one up, five down' pattern when possible. Going up through the gears you just stomp on the lever....makes it easy!

Also, the gear lever position CAN change depending on what gear it is in and going to. Mine had to be lifted higher to change into 4,5,6 than the first three....must be the second shift fork is a little different. Yours might be the same. Would advise trying a little adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts