Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all

My name is emily and I'm here to scour your touring threads. Me and my chum are riding from here (san francisco) to there (new york) this summer and I need all the advice I can get. I've had my SV now for 3 years and so far, there's nothing she can't do--goat trails, long hauls, canyon carvin', we've done it all. My SV (Alabama) is stock as stock can be however, and I think I could use a few adjustments for the many long mileage days in a row I have ahead of me. We went on a quick trip to Mexico last year and my upper back went numb halfway back to SF. Gotta work on that. Anyhoo, thanks for letting me pillage and plunder.

em

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome Emily. That's a long haul you have planned. Since I don't ride an "S", I have no suggestions about helping with your back issues. Hopefully, there will be someone who can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome :) I have already found some good stuff, I'm sure there's a lot more. I learned to ride five years ago when I was living in Sonoma County, so Berryessa was naturally one of my favorite (fairly) local jumble of roads. I particularly like the one that goes to Lower Lake (I think) with the water crossings. Thanks for the reminder, see you there! em

·
Registered
828 Posts
when you make your trip, i'm sure there will be plenty of sv havers along the way thatll help you out. as for better comfort. look up spencers seat mod, a throttle rocker, and maybe some taller handlebars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I grew up in Vallejo and San Francisco is one of my favourite citys. I brought my wife and son there a few years back and she really wants to get back to SF (don't call it 'Frisco') some day.
About your trip...
Everyone's different as far as their wants and needs on a trip like that. I've done a few trips across the country, on larger bikes, in all kinds of weather. If I were to ride a SV across the country I'd probably be looking for a medium sized windshield and maybe some bar risers. I also really like Corbin and Mustang seats. I've never tried a Sargent seat but I've heard good things about them and I know there's one available for the SVs. Someplace else to put your feet might be nice if there's anyone that makes a set of 'hi-way pegs' to fit these. It's amazing how much farther you can ride if you can change your seating position from time to time.
Something else to consider would be getting a front sprocket that's one tooth larger than stock. I just did that to my son's SV to make it less torquey (it's his first streetbike) and the bike runs just fine, still pulls reasonably well and runs a lower RPM on the freeway.
I'm not sure what you have in mind for luggage but Givi and Ventura both have some nice set-ups...
Please also consider that this is all coming from my demented mind. I like covering a lot of ground in a day. If you're looking to only do 400 miles a day then you won't need to go quite as hard-core as someone as eccentric as myself. I'm addicted to my Gerbings heated suit and couldn't imagine getting rid of it. I've ridden through snowstorms from VA Beach to NYC and actually been too hot before spending the $$ on the correct heat controller...
All the best.
Weazel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've ridden an ""S" from Missoula, Mt. down into Bakersfield, Calif. and back again. Camped out, rode fully loaded. I'ts not stock, but I have a specially designed aluminum rack that supports a soft saddlebag sytem and allows a drybag to be strapped across the top. Comfort is a tank bag that you learn to lay on and rest against. Works for me at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WooHoo! So much good advice! I think most of my days will be ~450 or less as we are trying not to hit too many major freeways for too long--lots of nice twisties. Y'all reminded me that when I did Mexico, in addition to my uncomfortably numb back, my butt got to hurting too. The seat suggestions sound real good (never heard of the Spencer seat mod before so I looked into it, well worth considering...). I did find that laying on the tank with my ankles hooked back around the passenger pegs was a nice posture change. I will also have to dust off the ol' throttle rocker. Risers are definitely on my radar, but I was also thinking also of the nekid triple clamp switcho-chango to the handlebars (now with my love of touring, I kinda regret the decision to buy the S vs. nekid). But alas, I am poor, and have to keep the mods to a minimum. I will be using borrowed soft luggage I used on a previous longish journey that worked pretty well. My little sister is a welder and I am also considering getting her to fabricate me up some luggage racks, in which case i can pick up whatever hard luggage is cheap/free and fits. And I think I'll go old fashioned and use ye olde maps rather than buy a GPS. We're trying to do mostly camping and visit as many parks/monuments as possible (nat'l parks pass baby!). I am also gonna visit family in Windsor, Ontario, so i will get to shower at least once. A secondary, though perhaps unlikely, goal is to end up at the Laguna Seca GP for one last smelly night of camping with some pals :eek:ccasion14:.

·
Registered
44 Posts
WooHoo! ... And I think I'll go old fashioned and use ye olde maps rather than buy a GPS. We're trying to do mostly camping and visit as many parks/monuments as possible (nat'l parks pass baby!). I am also gonna visit family in Windsor, Ontario, so i will get to shower at least once. A secondary, though perhaps unlikely, goal is to end up at the Laguna Seca GP for one last smelly night of camping with some pals :eek:ccasion14:.
I ran a Garmin Nuvi 200W on my last trip and would certainly recommend it. There's nothing wrong with maps, Weazel likes doing things the hard way sometimes, but the GPS just plain ROCKS! You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work one, trust me. I'm in the Army so it should be obvious that I can barely read and write :p
I put mine on a 'Ram' mount and tucked it in behind the windshield on my Valkyrie and my KLR. If it rained I just slipped a sandwich-sized freezer bag over it and the mount, secured at the bottom with a rubberband.
It's a very well spent $200 IMHO.
All the best.
Weazel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts