Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make it long story short, i wanted to change the color of the orange LEDs to red.

Everything was going well up until the soldering. For the life of me it just doesnt work. The LEDs work fine if i place them ontop of the solder. But when i solder them in place. Not one works

As of right now i have a gauge cluster with no working backlight. Its a 2003 if that makes a difference

·
Registered
786 Posts
Having changed out most of the LEDs myself but repeatedly failed with some of them (the tach needle), I finally had a pro do the remaining ones. I assume you need a temperature regulated soldering iron to quickly melt the solder but not melt the LED.

Check out @mad8vskillz website, I think he still offers that service, and you can specify exactly what you need done:

·
very big dumb
9,102 Posts
surface mount soldering is a biaaaaaatch... which is why i have a guy who does it for me :p

but this vid shows it pretty well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to get all my LED's soldered after messing around and trying different ways. It seemed as tho the LED was shorting its self out on the ground when both prongs where on the solder. It seemed to only happen with the red LED's. The fix that seemed to work for me was soldering down the right side prong and lifting up the left ground
I picked up a batch of white ones and those worked like a charm, so i just did all white instead.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts